Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do you REALLY want an aftermarket stereo?

WhalePirot

Corvette
1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
Yes, my non-Blows Delco system sucks big-time. I can't wait to do something about it. Its just a matter of time and money.

I think a basic installation, with basic speakers, is not too bad. By this I mean putting in a standard deck to replace the front head unit and putting in speakers that basically fit in the current enclosures.

I think doing even this will be far better than my current system.

Adding additinal amps, bigger speakers, sub's, etc. is where the problems occur.

Bob

I had my Bose CD/Cassette rebuilt by Dr. Don. Just installed it and it works great. Cost was $130.00 plus $15.00 return shipping. I also had him put on a new (correct for a 92) faceplate and buttons which cost an additional $70.00. The unit now looks new and plays like new. I maintain the "stock" config. and don't have to worry about some ninrod installer at BestBuy (or whereever) screwing up the wiring harness, speakers, ect.

I had the local Circuit City install a 12 disc Alpine and it's been fine so far.:D

Heh. Who needs a stereo? Just replace the mufflers and add headers! :)

I use my iPod and an FM transmitter (iTrip) and it's all the sound quality I need over the noise of the car. I do have the Bose setup, though.
[RICHR]

NC2Stay said:
putting in speakers that basically fit in the current enclosures.
Yeah, Bob, but nothing I found just bolts in.

Actually, my original Bose system, (Clarion CD head) works fairly well. :w

I guess I will have to get into it at some time soon - just been busy with lots of other stuff.

I did talk to a number of local installers. All of 'em are anxious for the job and say they know how to handle C4's. I will drive around some time and get some prices.

Bob

And another side effect of installing an aftermarket stereo is that you're never happy with it. There will always be that little nagging voice in the back of your head saying "hmm, these speakers would sure sound better with a bigger amp." Then suddenly you want a head unit with MP3 capability, and component speakers in the doors which means you have to cut a hole in the door panel for the tweeter. Then you want more bass, which means a subwoofer. Then you hear someone else's stereo and decide you like their speakers better so you have to get that brand. This stereo thing can quickly become an obsession for the perfect sound.

Yes.

I had the AC DELCO cassette. 6" plates in front, 6x9 in the rear Boston Acoustics with a Kameleon Panasonic head. The original speakers were paper and cost $1.50 each, more at home in Dodge Neon (no offense MOPAR people)

The motor music is on most of the time, but exceeds Bose Gold in sound quality.

Tyrel, that"s like the never-satisfied-with-horsepower thing, isn't it? I am recoving from both (I think).

I stopped Stereophile and Absolute Sound mags, which helped in the audio area.
Corvette Fever continues (aptly named, BTW). :w

I had my aftermarket (single DIN) Pioneer system installed at Best Buy for free w/ purchase of deck. They did a great job but I was pretty clear that I was anal about my car and wanted it just right. I supplied the mounting kit (all metal & only $15) which I got from Specialy Autosound of Tempe. Below the deck on the mounting plate I had them install an antenna switch (which I p/u @ Radio Shack for $3) which is great because I listen to CD's 95% of the time and don't need the antenna up.

One thing though...

After I got my car back I had the flashing SYS light and after doing a bit of research I learned that I had to add 2 resistors in-line (this applies to all later model C4's as far as I know) because of the dimmer feature in the stock deck.
Took it back to BB & they added the resistors and I was good to go.

Btw...I gave the guy a $25 tip upon completion. I was very pleased w/ the work and the sound quality is great. Night & Day over stock.

I just this weekend had the the Bose system replaced with aftermarket bought and installed at Quality Autosound. I too made it clear up front that she was my baby and stayed at the shop for the duration, checking on them in the back during the installation. The kid took his time, removed the old headunit and speakers intact for posterity. Aside from missing re-tucking the carpet at the rear of the hatch he did a great job. The sound quality is fantastic!:upthumbs It looks great. Kenwood head unit with an Alpine amp, 4" Boston Acoustics in the doors and Alpine 6 X 9s in the rear.:blue:

Listen to JEFNLSA.

My buddy found out that you can plug an ipod into the cd changer port on the newer heads, and ran it into the console. 5000 songs. Sounds great. Use cds for coasters.

I had a Pioneer MP3 player, all new speakers, amp, and iPod control installed in my 91 for about $900. A local shop did everything, and they are very familiar with Corvettes. I am VERY happy with it, I wouldn't change a thing. The Bose Gold system I had sounded terrible, even before the amps started to crap out. Stereo technology has come a long ways since the early 90's or earlier.

They ran all new wires and just bypassed the stock stuff. The install took them a few hours. I normally do most thing like that myself, but I figured this was one thing better left to the professionals. The install was top notch and the sound is amazing.

I had no problem installing aftermarket stuff in my 84 with a Bose. i put in a Pioneer CD Receiver and 4x6 Blaupunkt speakers in the dash and JVC 6x9's in the rear quarters. I had to do minor mods in back but nothing serious or detrimental.

:beer

Yeah ive been thinking hard about replacing my entire system with something better and louder to compensate for the exhaust work thats nearly done. But I dont really want to because to do it right I would need to do it myself, and I also dont want to spend the $1000 or so to redo everything right the first time.

I ve got a Pioneer reciever and a 6 disc cd changer and power amp. I'm not looking forward to the install. There is about 5 miles wiring:ugh I also have to choose speakers. There has been some good info here to use. The thread title and Whalepirot scared me at first.:D

I did mine myself, and would do it again for anyone. IT really wans't that bad. With a little patience knowing the outcome is for the good is worth the effort. My next project is building little speaker boxes for the rear. I dont has as much bass as I would like. I am told that with speaker boxes, I will pick up some bass.

During last year's Christmas parades, I played the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas tape to amuse the kids along the routes. Well, one of those gaddang Chipmunks hit a high note and at that volume..., well, I'm sure y'all get the picture. Now there's a miss/tick in the left rear speaker. *heavy sigh*

I don't really mind my Bose Gold system. I'm even thinking about getting the Delco Bose Gold AM-FM CD/Cassette unit as long as it works properly--and I know their "iffy" history. I don't need to crank up my sounds enough to announce my impending arrival from several blocks away.

I'm of an age where yes, I have a TON of cassette tapes and only about a 100 CDs (so far). Right now I'm using a Sony Car Audio Cassette Adaptor hooked up to my Sony Walkman to play CDs in the Vette. It just can become a security pain when I'm in a hurry to leave the car for extended periods of time.

So..., while the Vette's in for redo and I've got down time from driving it, I'm shopping--anybody have one (THAT WORKS!) they wanna sell at a reasonable price? If so, email me.
:w

Personally unless you really desire the stock stero, spend the money and upgrade to an aftermarket system. I find them to be much better for most things. A newer player will give you the capability of using the latest formats in music such an Ipods and MPs's etc. Do it right the first time so that you do not waste money trying to do it again and again. The nice thing wth aftermarket is you get awesome sound. I have a 1996 LT-1 hatchback and have put in a Sony Head unit(with MP3 capability - 120-150 songs per disc average) and have JL Audio Speakers all aroung monted in the stock locations. The only really obtrusive part for me is my subwoofer(JL Audio 8W7) but I was willng to sacrifice my trunkspace for sound. I have some trunkspace left but not alot. I have 2 amps(JL Audio 300/4 and JL Audio 250/1) and a capacitor mounted in the trunk as well. I listen toall sorts of music from classical to hip hop to rock to country etc). They all sound great but sometimes I wish I had even more bass(Most people I know think I already have too much). I spent just over $3000 Cdn including install but if you had the skills you could probably save a few hundred. You can also do it in stages etc. Change head unit and speakers then move on as needed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom