Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do you REALLY want an aftermarket stereo?

Would it be possible to ask each of you to take a pic on how the new head unit looks in the dash? I have a '92 with the bose system and really can't stand it either, however, I'm concerned about how much a new aftermarket unit effects the total look of the dash. I'd prefer something that appears stock with the same orange color matching the rest of the dashboard lights. Thanks in advance!

tyrel said:
And another side effect of installing an aftermarket stereo is that you're never happy with it. There will always be that little nagging voice in the back of your head saying "hmm, these speakers would sure sound better with a bigger amp." Then suddenly you want a head unit with MP3 capability, and component speakers in the doors which means you have to cut a hole in the door panel for the tweeter. Then you want more bass, which means a subwoofer. Then you hear someone else's stereo and decide you like their speakers better so you have to get that brand. This stereo thing can quickly become an obsession for the perfect sound.

So very true! We have the stock non bose delco stereo in our vette and it doesnt sound good at all. In my maxima I am never happy with it, i've gone through 4 different brands of speakers and 2 headunits and I still want more lows and highs.... it is an obession.

Venompwr2 said:
So very true! We have the stock non bose delco stereo in our vette and it doesnt sound good at all. In my maxima I am never happy with it, i've gone through 4 different brands of speakers and 2 headunits and I still want more lows and highs.... it is an obession.

Wow! Looks like I'm the easy one to please in this group. I just have an Alpine in the 'Vette and the stock radio in my Camry. The stock radio in the Camry actually sounds pretty good to me.

I replaced my dying Bose with a Pioneer din &1/2 (fit the opening in the dash), 6x9 Polk's in the rear, 4" Infinity's in the doors, and a 4 chl Infinity amp, Made some modifications to the Bose speaker inclosures to mount the speakes which allowed use of the factory speaker covers. No compairsion on sound. It sounds better than the stereo in my C6.....

trackitman said:
Would it be possible to ask each of you to take a pic on how the new head unit looks in the dash? I have a '92 with the bose system and really can't stand it either, however, I'm concerned about how much a new aftermarket unit effects the total look of the dash. I'd prefer something that appears stock with the same orange color matching the rest of the dashboard lights. Thanks in advance!
I just had my Bose Gold replaced at Circuit City, they did a great job, took thier time, I couldn't find a deck with the orange color like the dash. Went with a Panasonic with blue display and red button lights. Sounds funny but I think it looks pretty good. Used Infinity 5 1/4 speakers all around and a Bazooka powed sub. Sounds great, and not to boomy, I'm to old for that boomy stuff!!
The speakers look stock, they used the original covers and I'm very happy with the end result.
I can e-mail you a picture of the dash, I don't know how to post it.

Vince

Hmmmmmmmmmmm??????

I had to something my factory system blew bad so i just installed a rockford cd player n replaced the factory speakers i think i got the cd player 4 like 100 bux on ebay i bought it mainly because it plays mp3s was cheap and red display is really close to stock color. sound ok i guess but i cant be a fare judge because i've got like 4 grand in the system in my expedition and if i wanna listen to the radio i drive it if i wanna go fast n play i drive my vette so i guess im saying i didnt buy a vette to hear a radio i bought a vette to hear that exhaust roar n tha how we say @ the round track waaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaa baaaaaa not that sounds better than any radio cd mp3 wma ect ect i personally have ever heard but dats jst me

I just had an aftermarket installed in my '89 and it's sooooo much better than the Bose that was in there. I now have a Kenwood MP-3 tuner, Rockfords in the back and Infinity's in the front (covered with the bose grilles as to keep the stock look) and a self powered Bazooka sub in the hatch. The guy at the shop understood that she was my baby so she was to be taken care of and he even parked the car in the only stall in the shop as they had to keep her overnight! I highly reccommend aftermarket so long as you find the right place that knows how to treat a car.

All these people getting rid of their stock Bose systems... Why dont some of you contact me about getting your stock enclosures. I have an 86 coupe...

I only got rid of my bose because it was way beyond fubar. Not really worth trying to rebuild, the previous owner wasn't very caring.

I just started sorting out the system in my 92. I found that it has 5 inch boston's in the rear, a sony explode amp, alpine head unit, and 2 seven inch bazooka tubes in the rear. Funny thing is that it looks like the 2 front speakers are the bose units with the amps bypassed. Very weird. I took off the speaker grills in the back. I am amazed that they are covered with a metal mesh and then carpet. How did any sound get through these?. I'm building new covers using speaker cloth and a frames made from picture frames. I'm going to paint them the same color as the interior so they don't stand out. The fronts will be a larger project. Thinking of removing the ripped up carpeting from the enclosures and replacing them with speaker cloth. Probably use Boston's up front too. I can't imagine why the company chose to cover all the speakers with carpeting. Have to plug the ports in the rear as this was made for the Bose speakers only. With the rear covers removed it sounds a hell of a lot better already. Will take some pics this weekend.

Contact Info for Shop

I had a Pioneer MP3 player, all new speakers, amp, and iPod control installed in my 91 for about $900. A local shop did everything, and they are very familiar with Corvettes. I am VERY happy with it, I wouldn't change a thing. The Bose Gold system I had sounded terrible, even before the amps started to crap out. Stereo technology has come a long ways since the early 90's or earlier.

They ran all new wires and just bypassed the stock stuff. The install took them a few hours. I normally do most thing like that myself, but I figured this was one thing better left to the professionals. The install was top notch and the sound is amazing.

Hey slapshop, do you have the contact info for the shop that did your install? I have a couple audio question for them. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom