Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does a 84-96 C4 handle better than a similar equipped C5?

MoeJr

Corvette
Vetteless
I got to test drive a customers C5 Coupe the other day and loved it. However I felt my 84 Z51 handled better than it. Is this possible or am I nuts? I must admit I felt more stabe in corners in my 84 than the C5(which was a 00 coupe Automatic). I am interested in everyones opinion.

:beer

One of the earlier C4 Z51's was the roughest riding Z51's out there. I can't remember which year but it was a very stiff ride and they softened it up the year after that.

In terms of lateral G's; I don't think there is that much of a difference in C4's and C5's. At least not enough to notice a difference to the driver. With electronic equipment, yes.

Quoting two Corvette owners (they both owned C4's and C5's) at the race track: "The C5 is like night and day when compared to the C4".....Their preference was the C5.

An 84 Z51 would run circles around most C5s (not Z06), simply because the 84's suspension is so good for autox.

Only problem it really has is the lack of power. So on a tight course that 84 should win or be right there. On a long course, not as much of a shot, depends.

Later models, the C5 is better. Though driver means alot.

The maximum lateral G is probably better for the early C4 with Z51. They were advertised as being 1.0G cars. Of course you pay for that with a very harsh ride. The Z06 ads show 0.9+ G's.

The C4 and C5 are so different in chassis and suspension combinations that a subject feel for the cars just doesn't provide the answer. What may feel better may actually be slower. The only true way to know is to drive both on the same day on the same course with the same timing lights and see which one does better. Go to your local autocross course sponsored by either the SCCA or the NCCC and check out the times that are being turning in and talk to the drivers of the differents cars. The C4 seems to have a more 'aggressive' feel to it than the C5. The C5 just seems to take the road or course easier than the C4 - doesn't mean that it's slower or handles less well.

I have seen both Z06s and C4s set the fastest time of the day of all stock classes at the local autocrosses.

I've often heard the comment that C5s clearly handle way better than C4s. But what I've seen at the track says otherwise. Evaluating the handling of a car just isn't very straightforward and is affected by driver preference and style.

My impression about the C5 handling is that it was set with more understeer from the factory than the C4 (which I think was quite neutral). This makes it easier to drive and feel more stable. And especially, it makes it less vulnerable to uncontrolled torque steering which a lot of folks had complained about in the C4 and continue to complain about even in the C5.

I'd rather keep the neutral steering and just learn to temper my lead weighted gas foot. I think it's funny reading magazine reviews on Corvettes versus other kinds of sports cars that were written by editors that are used to front wheel drive cars with considerably less torque. They seem to universally complain that the corvette torque steers badly in hard turns. To which I have to say... learn to drive! It's not something wrong with the car. It just has more brutal power than they're used to (which is available instantly without turbo lag), and it does take more skill to keep it under control since you can't just lead foot the gas pedal all the time.

- Skant

At least I know my impressions aren't totally out of whack. I love my 84 and it has been a great ride so far. I really wanted a C3 but this 84 has made me think I would only add a C3 to the collection and not get rid of my 84 to get it.

:beer

6speeder said:
Quoting two Corvette owners (they both owned C4's and C5's) at the race track: "The C5 is like night and day when compared to the C4".....Their preference was the C5.
Is it possible to identify what that difference in handling can be attributed to? That is, is there something about the C4's suspension that can be updated to make it more "competitive" with the C5's, short of actually buying a C5 in order to get improved handling?

MagikDraggin said:
That is, is there something about the C4's suspension that can be updated to make it more "competitive" with the C5's, short of actually buying a C5 in order to get improved handling?
Go to http://www.vbandp.com/ Vette brakes makes upgrades for about everything. I went through them for my C3's suspension. Everyone I've talked to raves about the quality and improvements their products make. I can't say for sure yet since I still need to put new trailing arms on before I can test drive, but from what I see I'm very pleased and very very excited about getting her back on the road!

C-4 Autocross

I love mine 96 LT-4 base I got it just for one thing to see if I could build a C-4 to stay with the newer ones with stock C-4 parts and It will ..Not the Z06 just old C-5 C-6 stock.. Don't have the speed to out run them but right on ther tall lights .. It has 86 Z-51 NOS stuff some poly I have a 95 RPO-ZO-7 GM made that Vett for a raceing thing that was to happen in 95 Corvette race thing never got off ground but the thing will handle with the best of them.The deal was GM built the car to handle people were to race them just few mods..It will also handle with C-5 ect. Made me think if I could do one even a little better and I think so ..Is it all high teck like the new ones all nice soft tell you get on it no a little stiff all the time. The look on there faces when I'm pushing them priceless.. It's not a race car with no race car stuff GM build some great handeling C-4 vetts .. You can build and old scool C-4 Corvett that will run the best of them .Just have to ask the right people how to do it... Will be glad to tell you how I did it... spazianimike@aim.com good luck...

wow this thread is a blast from the past.....
Now that the C5s and even the C6s (which didn't exist when this thread was written) have some years on them the C4 is no longer the bang for the performance buck it was when this threade was current.

Mike

The old C-4

I know this was old but might be somebody out there who whant's to play with an old C-4.. For the money a C-5 or even a C-6 is the best bet for the money..The 96 I built last dec. 2010 is a LT-4 312Rwhp all rebuilt but motor just some bolt ons Ect.. The handling stuff all new springs shocks poly and on and on, insides, new tires, vett about 75% new ..I just built it to play with the newer ones ...I can run with them ,most of the new ones are over powered not for the Corvette for the driver ..I have about $15,000 in this one I did most of the work and got deals on most of the parts Ect.is fun.. I guess a newer one would be better .. For the money? ..Unless you are an OLD SCHOOL car crazzzy dude... I love to take old stuff and see what I can do with it so far the 96 worked out just fine .Is funny after we make a track day or cross crountry ride everybody whant's to know what I did to the vett ... I just say waxed it ...

wow this thread is a blast from the past.....
Now that the C5s and even the C6s (which didn't exist when this thread was written) have some years on them the C4 is no longer the bang for the performance buck it was when this threade was current.

Mike

I'd have to disagree...
with prices where they are, a C4 in good shape is easier to get than ANY comparable car...from ANY era. And they still deliver the thrills...

People seem to think that a C5 or C6 is magic or has some secret that makes it night & day superior over its previous model. Its not. With each new series there were simple improvements, that yeilded small but noticable gains in power and handling.The fact that the C5 had a radically different drive-train started all kinds of myths and pure speculation regarding its handling abilities. It handles better in some ways. Not like a bullet train, but easier because of the weight distribution, wheel track and some suspension improvements.
I have run mine with a C5 Zo6 and stayed with him accellerating from 40 mph to well over 130...he did not "run off and leave me.." as some would assume. granted my C4 engine is enhanced slightly, and its no slouch, but to know that its just as quick on the streets as the next generation....makes me glad that I don't have C6 car payments. I remember those all too well.:eyerole
I know I'll never run with a C6 Zo6 or ZR1...but then again, I'm not in the $100K club for my daily driver either. Being about $60,000 between me and those cars, I can say with certainty that neither would leave me in the dust....mine would be somewhere close behind.

Point is, that the yr, model is not nearly as important as the simple fact that the authors of these debates seem to always miss.

The fact that you own a Corvette is a statement that you have a higher standard in life and have a fondness for American made world class machines. The fact that I own a Corvette is all that I need to remain self assured that I have good taste and possess an appreciation that most people can't even comprehend.

To answer the question...

a good tight C4 can stay with a C5 and even beat one depending on the driver. The C5 is easier to drive, and more comfortable, that gets points...the C4 is stiffer, harsher and takes a little more work to drive it hard, but it will stick a little better if it has the stiff track suspension. As the Corvette matured it began trading some handling for comfort. The C4 Z51 did'nt do any of that..

My C-4

What was saying .To get my 96 witch has 80,000 miles ,to run and handle and look good in and out as the newer ones takes lot's work and some money I spent $7,500 on mine just in parts ..Three shows three first in the C-4 stock class and like I said handles with the newer ones.. But I have been doing this for 35+ years and have $20,000 just in tools in my shop lift the works.. Most people now days don't have the no how or the tools to do this kind work to get one to the level my is in .So what I was saying just buy a newer one there it is nice vett, lot's speed looks good no work just fun... Unless you have tools place to do the work and no what you are doing.. If not not, newer one better buy.. Yes there are good buys some C-4 can be had cheep.. I gave $8,000 for the 96 LT-4 and was in good shape but now way better... It took 90 days to get all the parts togeather and do the work thats 4-5 days a week and 8-10 hr days..Lot's work lot's money..Got to love it...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom