Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does a C6 really make sense to Zo6 owners?

MsSchroder said:
Don't forget the GEN II.5, The 2002-2004 Z06 :D

I resemble that remark!!! hehehe....
Just bought a '03 Z. I traded a couple of bikes to make room for the C5. And lordy what a C5! Completely stock at the moment with only 19k. I can't imagine the C6 being too much sweeter.

MsSchroder said:
A C6? No

A C6-Z06? Yes.

:D

Tammy

An LS7 motor... in my car... MAKES MORE SENSE.

I'm cheap, what can I say?

There is no long term value in a 05 C6, compared to in my case to a 50th 03' ZO6. I would love a C6 ZO6, but I will keep modding mine I guess. Too much cash for the Z. Maybe in a few years I can find a used one for $50k lol! I'm keeping mine forever.

A couple of days ago, a friend an I were in a corvette shop; the shop had a beautifull MY C6 for sale. My friend was so impressed with it and asked me if I would get a C6. It is then when I realized that the only thing the C6 (not the C6 Z06) has it for it over my C5 Z06 was the new nicer looking exterior and interior. Is that enough incentive for me to couph up the cash?

My reply to my friend was: "NO; this doesnt have enough incentive for me yet. The C6 Z06? maybe with the right price".

Does a C6 make sense to Z06 owner? Not for me.

The C6's top can also be taken off for those who like to motor with the sun hitting their face.

avacorvette said:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68717

Ck out this link the C5 Z looks better than the C6. You can't compare the C5 with a Toyota Celica or any other car on the road as far as looks go.

:eyerole You obviously missed the intro of the C5 when everyone thought it looked like an RX7... Just another Japanese looking car, what was GM thinking?

well, a C6 with a Z06 badge does! just put a deposit down on one!

To throw another factor into the ring, one has to remember that very, very close to 400 RWHP can be realized with the C5 Z06 by simply adding intake, headers, hi flow cats, exhaust and a little judicial tuning. That, of course, equates to approximately 475 net and one hasn't even gone into the engine. Now you are within 30 HP or so of the new Z.

While I am not running out to buy a C6 Z06 I can appreciate the total engineering package that GM offers with its 505 hp C6 Z06.

Presently I believe with 396 rwhp my car is producing about 470 flywheel hp...but it still doesn't have the absolute refinement of the new GM 7 liter.

Would I trade for a C6 with 400 flywheel hp? even with its improved refinements? No...but its still a dam impressive car that is true to the corvette heritage..

JMO

JBsC5 said:
While I am not running out to buy a C6 Z06 I can appreciate the total engineering package that GM offers with its 505 hp C6 Z06.

Presently I believe with 396 rwhp my car is producing about 470 flywheel hp...but it still doesn't have the absolute refinement of the new GM 7 liter.

Would I trade for a C6 with 400 flywheel hp? even with its improved refinements? No...but its still a dam impressive car that is true to the corvette heritage..

JMO
I agree with JB. I am currently in the same situation too.

kingman said:
Hi

While reading an article in Autoweek they compared the Z06 to the new C6 and the Z06 wins hands down by at least a 1/2 second with only approx 5 hp more!

Is it the weight, gearing or just a better engine?

Alan

This thread has sorta diverged from the original question comparing a C5 Z06 to a C6. Everybody wants the C6 Z06, including me, but for the sake of discussion, I'm going to return to the original question...

None of the above. The difference is in the tires. F1 Supercars are stickier than the runflats that come on the C6, whether it is a base or Z51.

The C6 Z51 gear ratios are the same as the Z06 and it has tranny and diff coolers. The LS2 actually has more low end torque. The C6 Z51 also has bigger and better brakes.

I'm not sure about the weight difference, but I'd like to see that comparison made with both cars using the same tire compounds.

Would I trade my 02 Z06 for a C6 Z51? If I could wangle the same deal that I have on my 02 Z06, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Tedster

No C6 for me ever...........................

The curb weight I've seen on the C6 is 3179 for the convertable and 3199 for the coupe. The C5 ZO6 has a curb weight of 3118. I better make sure I remove my golf clubs before I race lol! I do not want to have to pay for a C6 ZO6, but would definitely not want a regular C6, even one with the Z51 suspension. I have been steadily adding horsepower to my 50th 03 ZO6 trying to get to 500hp at the flywheel naturally aspirated. I had it dyno tuned about 3 weeks ago and fell short, because of my current exhaust system is too restrictive. (Borla shortie headers, stock cats, stock 2-1/2" H pipe and Borla Stingers) Yesterday my 1-7/8" collector Kooks longtubes arrived without the 3" X pipe off road system, no cats. I can't do the install without the rest, so I am on hold. My current baseline dyno tune result was 410.5rwhp @ 6800rpm /386lb/ft. @ 5500rpm. The new system should get me alot closer to that 500hp flywheel goal. The new longtubes do not have the air tubes, and I will be eliminating the air system in its entirety. My tuner will do the rest and this will be my last mod. until I go with a larger displacement with my current block somewhere in the future. I do like the Fast 90-90 intake system though lol! :eek

Todd, I can see your reason for not upgrading at this point. But if you were starting with basically stock cars before the power upgrades, would the base C6 do it for you? From there you could do similar mods to get to the HP you are at now and have some of the improvements that the C6 offers. Just a what if...

My 99 FRC is my "Z06" with the fixed roof and basic mods. I think it will hang with an '01 Z06 but for me I will be replacing the C4 vert with a C6 vert sometime in the future. This is a no-brainer upgrade in my book. :D Will I replace the FRC? Maybe, but it makes a great daily driver for the wife and she has no plans on getting rid of it. I just need to keep her out of the newer cars so she doesn't want one. :)

SOme people are forgeting about the looks of the 2 cars. Seperate from the performance issues look at the body styles of the 2. The C5 Z06 is a very different car comapred to the C6 or C6 Z06. Personally I look at C6 and it just doesn;t look right. THe front of the car is much higher then the C5. THe C5 has such beautiful lines right from the very front which is quite low up to the windshield. THe C6 is completely diferent. The front looks like it smiling at you for 1. THe headlights look BRUTAL. (2 eyes). THe nose is also much higher of the ground or at least looks like it is. I won;t even get into the rear of the car other then its not bad but its just to short when looked at from the side. THe C6 is a nice car but compared to a C5 there is no comparison IMHO! Just my 2 cents.

kingman said:
Hi

While reading an article in Autoweek they compared the Z06 to the new C6 and the Z06 wins hands down by at least a 1/2 second with only approx 5 hp more!

Is it the weight, gearing or just a better engine?

Alan
if you are looking for 0-60 and drag strip performance only the ZO-6 is the car for you BUT if you are looking for a better all around corvette the C-6 is the car. the headlights alone are worth the change

I think the road noise reduction on a C6 also makes it a better road car. The C6 is certainly a better car than a C5 Z06. It should be or GM isn't doing its job.

Still I'm happy with my low mileage C5 Z06 and till its time to replace I'll be enjoying it. When its time to replace the C6 Z06 fits that bill nicely!

Driving a C6 yesterday

Yesterday my cousin let me take his new C6 vert for a long ride yesterday and there really isn't anything not to love. The power is awesome the handling is awesome and the braking was awesome.

But what it didn't feel like was a vette, it felt more like a luxmobile. I'm sure that the Caddy XLR feel about the same, not that l'm complaining.

If l'm going to drive a vette l want it to feel like a vette in my opinion. What l like is the roar of the exhaust, sound of the wind and all of the creaks and groans to remind me that l'm in a sportscar.

Alan

Admittedly the new C6 is starting to grow on me, but here in Hawaii I know they're gonna be around $85,000 or so for the Z06. Great if I had several times that burning a hole in some account but you know what, I just can't justify going through payment hell again at that level. So for now, I'm gonna stick with my '02 Z06. Besides, I hold the title to it and have got a little something up my sleeve. I've seen the outline of the next generation C7 being wind tunnel tested and I'm going to say this with extreme confidence. This point is something I've heard quite often and it's... seperation. Not enough seperation between the C5 and the C6. Like the way the C5 blew away the C4. The C7 is gonna put that issue to rest, hands down! And that's what I'm waiting for. Sure, the C6 Z06 has some incredible specs, but I'm gonna wait for what I know is coming. Oh, and that outline, was on T.V. and was absolutely, drop dead gorgeous!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom