Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does anyone drive w/Kumho brand tires & what do you think of 'em?

Think I'll go with the SZ-50's later this year. I don't mind spending money on tires because in reality, they'll last me 4 years. Okay, so I don't light up the rear tires when I take off.:L

I've heard some good feedback on those and the local Firestone was willing to match TireRacks price. I feel that the GoodYears were somewhat on the higher side and didn't grip that well in wet weather.

I was also told that the SZ-50's "age" well.

Cheers,

red.gif
:D

With the goodyears and kumho I could light them up...so much smoke I was hired for mosquito control.....with the SZ-50's you have to be careful cause they grab right away. With an auto no big deal, but with a manual....that much grip...that many horses something gonna break...and it is not the tires..

Okay, I must admit that I smoked the tires the other day on some fresh blacktop in front of my house. Now there are two permanent marks right in front of me house.:duh

Because of the price and the "Overall" rating from TireRacks website they are my next tire (Which will be soon because of a near miss with a bus). I have developed a major flat spot on at least 2 tires. Im going to replace them next driving season (Next summer).

What...they got busses up there????? I thought you guys used dog driven sleds.....:upthumbs
:SLAP

I've been to Edmonton several times. They not only have buses, they have hockey, trotting horses, I even was taken to a place with Oklahoma BarBQ.

Have a great day,

My father was canadien, I was born in Canada. I have family in Edmonton and Leduc....It was a joke to a fellow canadien....Sorry you did not understand...ay...

LarryBible said:
I even was taken to a place with Oklahoma BarBQ.

In Canada???

:L :L

That's kind of like going to a Sushi house and ordering a burger.;)

BullWinkle,

That's exactly right. It has always amazed me how many people will take me somewhere to eat the kind of food I would get back home. I can get that kind of food back home, I would rather sample the local food.

I travel alot and it amazes me how often people do this. I let them do it because they just think they're being courteous.

Have a great day,

Gotta pipe in here too!!

Last year I bought a set of AFS wheels on e-bay. They were complete with mounted and balanced Kumho Ecsta 712 tires.. 275/40 ZR 17's .. I had not heard about them before and read up on them before bidding .. they seemed to be quite good so I went ahead and got them. They are great so far. I guess the original tires (10 years old!) were getting a bit hard and didn't handle any where near as the new ones do.. big difference.
Les and I took the Vette for some hot lapping at the local race track and I was amazed at the handling of the Kumho's .. very predictable .. even in a four-wheel drift under power!!!
I would recommend them for anyone!! Get them and save the $$$...

Oh and by the way, we have a turquoise metallic car.. wonder if that's any different as far as the tires go than red cars?? :)

I give them four thumbs up...... put up your two thumbs!!

Tanzanite - I think red corvettes' tires run a little hotter :) ...

and mine are really hot at night because I have neat red tire valve lights on the valve stems that shine bright red when the car is moving ... and when it's really movin', ... the red light gives the appearance of being a solid red beam completely around the whole tire! (The only time I can appreciate it tho, is when I drive by a storefront window that has glass all the way to the ground.)

But thanks for your review of the tires; I think unless very many others say bad things about them - I'm gonna get 'em for my ride!

(I only wish I could order them with a red stripe around them ... like they had for the older vettes!)

My tires have at least 50% tread on them, but like your old ones, they're gettin' old and dried out, so don't hold as well as they used to ...

This is a pic of my little red rooster ... er, I mean ... roadster:)

I should be gettin' my new personalized license plates any day now. They are gonna read : U BE COOL

Here's one last pic of me and the car.
This is the pic I send out to all the people who are sick and tired of hearin' about me and my corvette.

You have GOT to post some pictures of those wheel lights!

I have one rather bad pic of the lights.

They only go on in darkness, and only when the car is movin' ... so it's hard to take a good pic of them, ... but here it is ...

Image didn't come out real clear, but I get the idea and it's awesome. Get any trouble from the police for having lights like that?

Those Red Do-Dads!!

They are really neat looking.. how do the electrons hang on at speed???

J.K. :) :)

How easy is it to park the car in the garage like that?? Don't you usually drive straight in the doors!?

I sometimes drive straight thru the doors(without opening them!) :)

No, actually the lights are operated by 3 watch batteries each, and have a photoelectric cell which senses when it is dark around them (so if you drive thru a dark tunnel in broad daylight - they'll light up only in the tunnel).

They also have a motion detector built in so they only come on when movement is sensed. They don't light up when the car is standing still.

These features save on the batteries, and make them automatic! You don't have to turn them on and off!

They screw on to the valve stems of the tires and only stick out an inch or so, so you don't have to worry about hitting them when pulling in the garage, and we're already careful about hitting our wheels and tires on the curb when we park ... so that isn't an extra corncern!

They cost about $15 ea., and I get the batteries for 60 cents ea. thru a battery wholesaler on the web.

What's really neat about them, is that when I pass someone at night, I'll purposely pass them slow enough where I know they'll notice them ... then I'll speed up and let them catch me at the next light ... but when they do catch up and I'm already stopped at the light, I'll see them looking down at the lights - but I can see in their faces that they're confused and even a little angry ... cause they're not on anymore! Then when the light turns green and I take off again, they come back on again! So, now they're really bewildered ... asking themselves, " Is that guy in that beautiful red corvette convertible turning those off and on from inside the car - just to fool with us - and rub in even more - the fact that he's got the sharpest lookin' ride we've seen all night?"

It's alot of fun!

When you go fast enough, your tires are turning so quickly that they almost give the illusion of being a solid red light completely around the tire! (They come in red, blue, green, or white colors.)

Since you guys are such nice guys, and I'm sure will help me out in the future ... I'll break down ... and tell you where I got 'em ... as long as you don't go invading my territory with 'em - around the North and Northwestern Chicagoland area. Not only am I the first guy on my block to have 'em ... I'm the ONLY guy around here I've EVER seen with 'em! And I wanna keep it that way! :)

Just go to : www.visualfxonline.com They have a whole assortment of neat lights and accessories to jazz up your whole car if you want!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom