Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does your clutch engage smoothly - your experience with clutch disk types?

bondtimbond

Corvette
1967 SB Conv
I am looking for words of experience with clutch disks. Long story short I have been wrestling with clutch chatter problems on my 67 327 Vette, and I have pulled things apart now for the third time! Somewhat independent of that problem, I discovered that different clutch disks and different facing material on the disk can result in either smooth engagement or abrupt engagement. The photo attached shows the difference in an older GM disk (on the left) from around 1985 or so that I removed from my car, and a new LUK disk on the right. When I installed the new disk, I noticed that the engagement was much less smooth and downright grabby feeling. Even with some drive time it never did smooth out. When I pulled out my trans the second time last year (uugh!), I put back in the original disk shown on the left. The result was a much smoother engagement.

Now I have the clutch out again for the chatter problem, and I have purchased all new AC Delco clutch hardware. With new kit is actually a SACHS unit and disk with Valeo friction material. I have to decide which disk to put in...

Here is what I am looking for input on from this Forum: Are most people happy with the feel of your clutch after recent clutch hardware changes with disks that look like the one in the right of my photo shows?? I am trying to decide whether to put back in the original disk again (which has some life left but does show some wear), or put in the new SACHS disk that came with the kit. If the general feeling is that folks are happy with the newer clutch disks and have no problem with engagement, then I will put in the new disk.

Attached below is a photo of the two types of disks. The one on the right is a LUK disk, but my new Delco/Sachs disk looks similar. Any comments and experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Diskcomparison.jpg

After years of legwork pumping an OEM L-88 clutch on the 427, I installed a new CenterForce DF148552 Dual Friction Clutch / Pressure Plate and CenterForce 700148 flywheel behind the new 502.

clutch-pressure-plate-500.jpg

flywheel-500.jpg

I couldn't be happier. The pedal effort is far less than before and it's very smooth and streetable.

YEP

I put one in my car and it is a dream to drive ....lots of miles on and it works great..:):):):)

Great question... wish you posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just ordered a replacement from Paragon. Hmmm do i return it and go w/ the center force or take a chance.
Just cureous.. how much is the centerforce ? I have 185.00 in mine

$269 from Summit at your house in a day
click here for 66-69 BB with 11 clutch there is also a 10.4 for $335 best call and talk to a sales rep as there are two pages for Corvettes ;LOL you will also want to replace the throwout bearing for about $35

worth the extra money especially for a city boy ;)

I've heard good things about the dual friction clutch too.

...i have them in both of my cars and think they're great

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom