Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DOH-Tire Question....

C598LS1

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver C5 Coupe MN6
Well, i got a nail stuck in my stock goodyear emt on the rear driver's side....doubt it can be patched/plugged...so looks like i'll have to get a new one. The goodyear place over here quoted me $550 with mount/balance:eyerole: NO WAY i'm paying that for 1 tire. Anyone have any suggestions?

First suggestion. Stay away from that Goodyear dealer. A new one should be around $375.00. Try to find a used tire with about the same number of miles on the rest of the set. That way they should all wear out around the same time. A tire with around 15 to 20K miles can be had for less than $100.00. Just inspect it for any patches, punctures, or abnormal wear and it should do you just fine.
Paul

I agree with Paul. Stealership suggested the same price to me (I wasn't even asking, but thank you very much, no!), but you can find them around for less than $100, use. Good luck. Even if you had to buy new, Discount Tire has them for a good price, or you can use tirerack.com (great service/price). Good luck!

Thanks guys. Yea, i'll be staying away from that place. I went on discount tire.com and found them for I $365-i think that was the price. The used idea is good, but if i dont find anyone with a used tire with around 11k on it, then it will have to be new.

I got a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport (non EMT) mounted on my Z06 for just over $1300 at Costco.

Nice Uni. What do you fly?

Bounty Hunter 6 said:
I agree with Paul. Stealership suggested the same price to me (I wasn't even asking, but thank you very much, no!), but you can find them around for less than $100, use. Good luck. Even if you had to buy new, Discount Tire has them for a good price, or you can use tirerack.com (great service/price). Good luck!

Hi C598LS1 -

I assume it is leaking.

Why do you assume it cannot be plugged? Is it in the sidewall?

My advice - Pull the nail, use a plug kit to put a plug in it - and quit worrying.

I had to do this to one of my Pirelli's on my Z last year - with a 305 tire you are covering a little more ground and thus picking up more "stuff".

Yea, it's not speed rated anymore. Yea, it's not got a patch inside.

But --- IT DOESN'T LEAK AIR ANYMORE and I have been driving it with no worries.

I'll buy a new tire when there is a hole in it that cannot be fixed, or when they are worn to the tread wear indicators.

But that's just me - you pay your money and take your choices.

best regards -

mqqn

Try tirerack.com for the best prices & manufactures on new tires. They also have local installlattion sites with rating comments using your ZIP code. I have driven with a pluge in the right front, very uneasy driving with the plug.

Firestone Wide Ovals

Hello all! Please check out Tire Rack.com, spec. Firestone Wide Oval tires for corvette. I purchased these tires from Tire Rack (all 4) for under 700.00!! Check it out, they're not runflats, but exceptional tires.
STEVE

mqqn said:
Hi C598LS1 -

I assume it is leaking.

Why do you assume it cannot be plugged? Is it in the sidewall?

My advice - Pull the nail, use a plug kit to put a plug in it - and quit worrying.

I had to do this to one of my Pirelli's on my Z last year - with a 305 tire you are covering a little more ground and thus picking up more "stuff".

Yea, it's not speed rated anymore. Yea, it's not got a patch inside.

But --- IT DOESN'T LEAK AIR ANYMORE and I have been driving it with no worries.

I'll buy a new tire when there is a hole in it that cannot be fixed, or when they are worn to the tread wear indicators.

But that's just me - you pay your money and take your choices.

best regards -

mqqn

Mqqn...

Thanks for the tip....BUT....can runflats be plugged? Hmm.....if it can be, great. No, its not in the sidewall...its about 1 inch in, maybe less from the edge of the tire. I read somewhere that plugging it would cause belt separation...plus, its a runflat....the goodyear guys practically laughed at me when i asked if it can be plugged or patched. The guy said "hahaha...nah, we dont patch EMT tires." :eyerole I found the factory runflat goodyear tire from discounttiredirect.com for 365 dollars. THats alot better than the $550 that goodyear quoted me. Thanks for all the help and advice-keep it comming :upthumbs

C598LS1 said:
Mqqn...

Thanks for the tip....BUT....can runflats be plugged? Hmm.....if it can be, great. No, its not in the sidewall...its about 1 inch in, maybe less from the edge of the tire. I read somewhere that plugging it would cause belt separation...plus, its a runflat....the goodyear guys practically laughed at me when i asked if it can be plugged or patched. The guy said "hahaha...nah, we dont patch EMT tires." :eyerole I found the factory runflat goodyear tire from discounttiredirect.com for 365 dollars. THats alot better than the $550 that goodyear quoted me. Thanks for all the help and advice-keep it comming :upthumbs

Hi C598LS1 -

I don't see why not - the EMT's have a stiffer reinforced sidwall to allow the car to be driven with the tire at 0 psi for x number of miles.

I cannot think of a reason that an EMT tire would not be able to be plugged.

There are a lot of reasonable people who would not put a plug in a high-performance tire at all. I obviously disagree.

I can only tell you I use a hand-plugger and radial-tire specific plugs to fix small nail and screw punctures in the tread area of my tires.

It has worked for me with no deliterious effect for many miles.

I think that punctures are more of a compromise in the structural integrity of a CHEAP tire that is otherwise very weak in the sidewalls and generally low performance than would the same puncture in a high-quality, high-speed rated tire (or EMT...)

If a tire that can run at 150+ mph, and is made and rated to do so, and cannot structurally handle a pinhole sized puncture and consequentially a plug to seal the air leak, then I really would rethink the tires quality altogether.

good luck - and best regards -

mqqn

I seem to remember a shuttle that only had a small defect in it's wing surface. Probably doesn't logically apply here, though .. much.

Low speed driving on a properly patched tire would be OK I guess, but not for extended periods at high speed ... and that's one of the things I want my Vette to be able to do at any time.

Had one flat each on two different sets of tires. There are only a few tire dealers who can fix a flat on a vette. Even the tire dealer who sold and installed my Mich. ZP's told me they didn't have the set-up to fix them. Both times had to search around for a dealer who would fix them. They ask for $50 up front to fix and it takes a special patch.

Tire Replacement

I use The Tire Rack. I've bought all my tires from them since 1993. They ship to you or the tire fix it guy. You pay to install. I'd probably talk to the Chevy guy so they can do all that sensor stuff. They'll ship it right to the dealership.
WWR

Michelin ZPs are an upgrade from GY EMT

I bought a set of Michelin ZP from the TireRack.com for around $1300. They shipped to a local shop where they were installed and have not leaked one molecule or atom of air in the 16 months I've had them.

Michelin ZP are great in rain and eliminate that hard thud the GYs have when they encounter a slight bump in the road.

As a bonus, the installer shop is now my fix everything shop.

Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom