Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door adjustment

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
I'm trying to adjust the drivers door and have played around with the stricker on the body with some luck. Is the actual door stricker/latch adjustable as well? I see that it's held in place with flat head screws. What other things can I do to adjust the door so that I get a nice alignment and closes nicely? I know that my driver's door was replaced with an early type door 63-64? But this should'nt make a difference right?

There is variation in all the doors, so any door needs to be aligned uniquely.

The striker does not align or adjust the door - the striker alignment is only to align the striker with the position that the door has been aligned to - it does not change the door alignment.

To align the door, remove the striker so the door alignment can be observed without its interference and "forced alignment." If the door is not correctly positioned in any axis within the door opeing, remove the door panel and loosen the door at its hinges - there are 6 bolts holding the door to each of the 2 hinges. Loosening the bolts allows you to slide the door forward and aft, as well as adjusting the "tilt" angle. Additionally, there are shims between the hinges and the door that can be removed or added to adjust how far in/out of the door opening the door is positioned and to adjst whether the top or bottom of the door moves in or out of the opening - shim packs are available from Paragon and other Vette parts dealers.

Once you have the door aligned in this way so that it fits perfectly in the opening without the striker installed, the striker can then be installed to align with the door position.

Lars

Thanks Lars,

why don't you take a break and have a brew:L:beer

I don't need to take a break to have a brew - I have my beer while I'm working...

:beerLars

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom