Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door rattle

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
I know that I will find the answer here so can anybody explain the deal with the driver doors on corvettes? I have a 75 that sounds just like the "new" 2000 when you close the drivers door. The passenger door sounds solid on both vettes but the drivers door sounds like something is loose inside. I expect this on a 32 year old car but not on a 2000 with 12k miles. Has anyone else had this problem with their C5? Any easy solution?;shrug

I know that I will find the answer here so can anybody explain the deal with the driver doors on corvettes? I have a 75 that sounds just like the "new" 2000 when you close the drivers door. The passenger door sounds solid on both vettes but the drivers door sounds like something is loose inside. I expect this on a 32 year old car but not on a 2000 with 12k miles. Has anyone else had this problem with their C5? Any easy solution?;shrug
I have the same problem on my 2002 since new. Took it back to the dealer while still in warranty and they said nothing they could do.
Joe

As far as I know, never noticed it on my 2001.

Has anyone else had this problem with their C5? Any easy solution?;shrug
I had a door rattle in the passenger side - and then found out it was the the door mirror connection. I'm mechanically impaired so my best explanation is that it was the doo-hickey that held the mirror to the door, which had been improperly repaired before the car was mine.

The solution was not easy but Mr. Pinky did get the door off and did the repair himself - correctly (with the help of a link on CAC!). You might want to check on the Technical forum to see if there are any threads there that might help.

I've noticed a rattle in the door if the window is down. When the window are up...no rattle. ;shrug

My 99 Coupe has a rattle that I spent some time chasing but haven't cured yet. The noise seems to be coming from the styrofoam crash pad just inside the door panel, behind the arm rest. I started to remove it to glue it to the plastic door panel better but the only way to remove it is to destroy it.

The only other thing that can rattle is the clamps that hold the side window. If you remove the door panel and, with the side window up pull the rubber covers in the inside tops of the door off you can access the clamp bolts that secure and allow some fore, aft and height adjustment of the glass.

Folks I have talked to say Chevy just replaces the entire door panel to cure the problem. (Another $600 item.....)

Chevrolet contracted with a company named Lear to produce the interior of the C5. Chevy stocks very few small repair parts for the interior, as the dealer mechanics rarely repair sub-assemblies.

It is my understanding that the C6 interior is built by GM to have more control over the quality of the finished part.

I have to say that the thing I like the least about my 2000 is the quality of the interior. Things just feel cheap. My daughter has a 2002 Camaro and the interiors are very similar in sight and feel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom