Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

door window ???

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
can any of you tell me how to make my power windows stop going down so fast just doesnt seem right that they should be going down so fast sometimes I think they will fall through the bottom of the doors LOL

We could trade regulators! Mine are slooooooooooow.

You might be able to tighten the felt bumpers at the top a tad, or your belt molding on the top of the door weatherstrip might be bad not putting any drag on the glass.

LOL
My 82 windows fly and the 85 takes five minutes to open a window. I'll take the fast window anyday. But I hear ya, I guess they had some supercharged motors left over that year:L :L

So long as they are stopping when they are supposed to I'd leave it alone. My Monte windows fly down, my Vette windows go slow, my Z24 windows crawl. If you put any undue stress on the motors to slow them down you could cause the motors to fail.

I'm with Chris though, I'd be happy to trade with you:L:L.

Let me get this...Corvette & SLOW

in the same paragraph!

Replace your weather strip... that will slow ya down!

Mike

If your widows feel like they are falling down more than an actual controlled lowering, then you need to replace the spring in the door. Item #283146 in the Corvette Central Catalog 3B. I am replacing mine this summer. My driver side does the same thing.

Scott :w

all of my weatherstriping is still in good shape as for the adjustable felt things they are put as close to the glass as they will go, but when they are like that windowdrags really bad when I try to roll it up ... as for the rolling down rate I just dont think the factory made it this way when I say they fall fast its like they sound like they are going to break they go down that fast all I have to do is just tap the electric switch one time real quik and they drop all the way down, as for this spring where is it located.

and also I had the oppurtunity to drive my mothers 97 camaro and loved the express down window on drivers side can this system be adapted to our vette or would it be a pain

thanks for your help again

Jeff,

Leave 'em alone!! My '81 windows take but a second or two to go up or down. My '91 and '95 Bonneville is so slow (all windows) I've always wondered if anything internally was binding the mechanism. Don't touch them.

.......... Nut

The spring is on the regulator. You know after time things wear out. This is a very common problem with these windows. My corvette parts dealer sells tonnes of the springs and knew right away what my problem was when I explained what my window was doing. Or you could just take Nut's advice and leave em. Me, I am replacing my spring. It is quite simple to understand. The spring provides resistance (almost like a brake) as the window is rolled down. And then it helps it back up when putting the window back up. If the spring is bad there is no resistance and it just falls down into the door. You make the call.

Scott

Speedy windows

Jeff,
I agree with "Nut", leave 'em alone. The windows on my '81 fly up and down. Plus the neat part of having fast windows is like the one day I took a friend for a ride in my '81, and he had his head stuck out the window "cat calling" a couple "ladies. " And I mashed the button catching his head between the glass and the t-top in less than a second. Myself and the "ladies" found is very amusing. Just like in a movie!
Sarge :grinshot

Don't over tighten those 2 felt pads on the top of the door,the anti-rattlers,if that felt wears through you'll end up with some nasty scratches in the glass.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom