Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Door won't unlock

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hey Guys,

I've been reworking the inner parts of my 1981 doors the last couple of weeks. Drivers side done with no problems, new lock actuators, new regulator and window motors. Locks and unlocks with no problems. Passenger side door was going fine, lock actuator in, new window regulator and motor in and cleaned up lock mechanism installed.

I checked all the moving parts on the lock mechanism before I reinstalled it and everything seemed to be working fine. Installed it connected all the rods, and door opened and shut just fine, but then I locked the door with the key and now it won't open. I tried to unlock with key, but it seems to just go so far, but not releasing. I still have the door panel off so I can get to everything...I took off the door lock rod, so I can move the lever to the unlock position (at least as far as it will go) using the drivers side door as reference (it works fine). Pull the inside handle, but the latch won't release. I've tried pushing the lever with a screwdriver, but still won't release. If I can get it open, I'd just replace the whole mechanism with a new one, but I'm just not sure what to do next.

I'm not worried about destroying the old mechanism, but I'm just not sure if I start "snipping" springs if that will do me any good?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom