Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Doug Rippie chip and air filter performance?

D

dennisinmaryland

I'm considering the purchase of a 93 ZR1 40th anniv car. It has a Doug Rippie chip and air filter. Does anyone know the effects of this chip on the car? I cannot find performance stats anywhere. Thanks all.
Dennis:w

Most DRM chips are off the shelf but can be "customized" for mods (since there are no mods then just a standard performance chip). I would bet it has sooner fan turn on temps, CAGS disabled, and timing advanced. The airfilter will make little to no difference if it is a drop in. The chip might give you 5-10 hp at the wheels peak but should help throughout the band some. www.dougrippie.com is the DRM site. Email them and they will help you out. Ted

I did a K&N open lid mod and had doug dyno tune the ecm. Picked up 30HP and ~45 pounds torque peak at the wheels.

I have the dyno results scanned if interested....

dennisinmaryland said:
I'm considering the purchase of a 93 ZR1 40th anniv car. It has a Doug Rippie chip and air filter. Does anyone know the effects of this chip on the car? I cannot find performance stats anywhere. Thanks all.
Dennis:w

I would like to see the dyno results. My main interest is the before and after air/fuel ratio, but I would also like to know any other mods to your engine.

I would also like to see the dyno results. That's a great increase for not too many $$$s.

What happened to your MPGs with the DRM and K&N mods?
Does it run a lot richer now?

Dyno results

zr1.jpg

Hard to see the but between 3500-5000 RPM there are major torque improvements....

ZR1 MK said:
I would like to see the dyno results. My main interest is the before and after air/fuel ratio, but I would also like to know any other mods to your engine.

I forgot to mention that Doug put in a slightly cooler running plug. Everything else is stock.

Doug also leaned out the mixture... i forget the ratio though. MPG's are hard to measure as I have a tendency to make sure secondaries get used ! :)

thxalot said:
I would also like to see the dyno results. That's a great increase for not too many $$$s.

What happened to your MPGs with the DRM and K&N mods?
Does it run a lot richer now?

What type of car did you dyno?

Those are awesome dyno results. Heckuva improvement!

How much did all that extra go-power cost you?

Also, what's going on between 1500-2500 RPM? Did it bog on the pull?

-Burt

That dyno # on the 1st pull is pretty low. the second on is just about stock. I pulled 3 run all stock the first 1 was about 310 rwhp (alot of carbon was blow out the first run. the 2nd was 332 rwhp and last was 335 rwhp all stock. on your first pull was there alot of carbon that blew out? I really don't think a open air kit could make that big of a change. Since then I have put in a mark halbiek (check spelling)chip, open air box, 4.09 gears and cat back 3" exhaust with magna flows. and i dynoed again and only got about 45 more rwhp.

If memory serves me, The total cost was a shade over $700. Chip, filter, plugs, labor and the dyno tuning.

Checked ZR1.NET and my #'s are pretty much on the mark for Chip, Filter & Exhaust upgrades.... although I JUST ordered my Corsa PowerPulse.

I could feel the difference driving home that afternoon. The beast was really breathing!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom