Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Downshift problem?

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
I did some high spirited driving yesterday and now I can't downshift from 6th to 5th. When stoped the shifter goes through all gates with no problem, only when the wehicle is moving it will not shift from 6 to 5. If I go from 6 to 4 (eaven partly into 4) then it will shift to 5 with no ploblem. It will shift 1 to 6 with no problem and it's not making any strange noise. Have any one had this problem and if so what was the couse, I'm just praying I don't have to rip out the trany and rebuild it. Any advice will be greatly apreciated.

It it shifts fine with engine off or on and clutch depressed. Only when the vehicle is moving the 5th gear will not engage and only if shifting from 6th to 5th. If I go from 6th to even partly fourth then it slides back to 5th with no problem. The car does not have to be moving fast either, all it has to due is to be barley moving forward. Also there are no strange noises or grinding in any gear, including 5th. Thank you for any input you might have.

Well, got the car back from trany shop. 3rd and 4th worn out, 5th beyond worn (only stubs left) and whats left of syncros (or something that resembled syncros) bad! The guys in the shop were in disbelief the whole thing worked at all newer mind as well as it did. If I did not see the damage with my own eyes I would not believe it! I bought the car with 70k on the meter, according to the mechanic this trany was sick for a while and my driving it hard only put it over the edge. Anyway 5k down the road, rebuild stronger than before and new Z06 clutch and she is new and ready to terrup the asphalt again. I forgot to mention that the spirited driving I did was actually a race with a 911 turbo through local mountains with some long straight stretches. Expensive race but I think I'm an adrenalin junkie now because I think I'll do it again.
:lou
Trany & clutch - 5k
911 in rear viev mirror - priceless

Gotta love that tag line :)

and....the race didnt cost you the 5k...the 70k did....the race was worth it....gotta keep the vermach (s/p?) in line :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom