Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dr C5 Has Found Another Problem?

D

Dr C5 Corvette

Hi All, The Other day when I punched the throttle in First gear from a rolling start, the rear wheels hopped and banged several times and 2nd gear also for a short time while accelerating is this normal? Or does it indicate a problem in the rear that I have been Talking about (the banging sound) Thanks. Dr C5 Corvette

Dr C5 Corvette said:
Hi All, The Other day when I punched the throttle in First gear from a rolling start, the rear wheels hopped and banged several times and 2nd gear also for a short time while accelerating is this normal? Or does it indicate a problem in the rear that I have been Talking about (the banging sound) Thanks. Dr C5 Corvette
Have you got a broken rear end Mount!!! That will make a Banging Sound!!:upthumbs junk!!

Dr. C5,
I'm guessing you may be new to experiencing exactly what a WHOLE LOT of torque feels like you really get on the throttle. Yes, the wheels will jump a bit if put a lot of torque on them all of the sudden. Be careful- that's a good way to run through tire tread life.

:w
-Patrick

How can I find it? what test can I have done to know if its Broke and what causes this to happen? Thanks in advance............Dr C5

Dr C5 Corvette said:
How can I find it? what test can I have done to know if its Broke and what causes this to happen? Thanks in advance............Dr C5
There are 3 mounts on Power Train of your C5 Lt.front eng.,Rt.front eng. and Differential, Under rear end at very rear. between Supp. cradle and differential !! Check front ones too!! Rear one can make Rear wonder on the road worse than Normal!! What causes it on a 40,000 car ???? My guess is a Gear Jamm'n Cowboy or Collision Damage!! Yes the rear Bulk head will pop on Thea's car's, It kinda sound's like a Tinny empty Coke or Oil can!! My 03cp. did it behind pass Seat!! Big Hammer & Block of Wood, fixed it!! As far as Trammeling,I had mine to 2-3 places to 4 wheel align and could not get it right. So I did the Alignment my self with Old Antique Equip. and string's. (Not at Factory Spec.'s!!) 26,000 miles and still have Tires left!! Car Handle's & Drives Great Now!!:lou junk!!

Patrich, I.ve already broken my heavy duty output shaft (in two places), amd was wondering if u know anything or heard anything about Dynotech's cage that wraps arouud the rear-end and transmission? Also, I was going to have and LS7 put in my 04 ZO-6, but I've been told that it will not work! Do u know anything about this? If, not maybe u know where I could get answer and explanation.TANKS gsmi837

gsmi837 said:
Patrich, I.ve already broken my heavy duty output shaft (in two places), amd was wondering if u know anything or heard anything about Dynotech's cage that wraps arouud the rear-end and transmission? Also, I was going to have and LS7 put in my 04 ZO-6, but I've been told that it will not work! Do u know anything about this? If, not maybe u know where I could get answer and explanation.TANKS gsmi837

Wow- you're putting an LS-7 into your C5 Z06? Man, that's a big job.

I don't know why it wouldn't work. There's a gentlemen here locally that put an LS-6 engine into a 1999 Mazda Miata, and that worked fine. Looks a little funny in there, but it does work. And man can that little Miata go!

So I don't have a reason as to why it wouldn't work- unless someone with more technical knowledge on this than I is aware of something I don't know.

Regarding Dynotech's cage, I'm sure someone here has some experience with them, and will chime in shortly to describe their experiences. :)

:w
-Patrick

Hi Dr C5 Corvette, I have found two things on my vette which caused power hop, first, ensure that your suspension is set to 'Sport'. if it is soft, this will cause wheel hop. If this is not the problem, check your tires for oval, the CMT's have a habit of going oval before they need to be replaced. Second, you may have a shock that is out of spec. or your composite spring in the rear may be compromised. Good luck.

Best Vette Yet said:
Hi Dr C5 Corvette, I have found two things on my vette which caused power hop, first, ensure that your suspension is set to 'Sport'. if it is soft, this will cause wheel hop.
( It has the Z51 suspension 2000 Hardtop there is no setting)

If this is not the problem, check your tires for oval, the CMT's have a habit of going oval before they need to be replaced.
(running F1 supercar goodyears 3 need replacing 2 front and 1 rear)

Second, you may have a shock that is out of spec. or your composite spring in the rear may be compromised. Good luck.
Yes that was my thought or the rear mount may be broke. Thanks for the input................Dr C5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom