Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drag racing results

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
Firebird Raceway in Boise, Idaho has an annual streetcar showdown. It is head-up racing, rather than bracket racing, and uses a 0.4 second pro tree (all the yellows light at the same time followed by green 0.4 seconds later). The cars are classified as 12.5 seconds (cannot exceed 12.5), 11.5 seconds, 10.5 seconds, and unlimited. Cars must have DOT tires, mufflers, license plate, insurance and no electronics to qualify as a 'street' car. Some of the cars were thinly disguised race cars that probably never see the street. The top eight qualifiers competed in the evening event.

There were 16 cars in the 12.5 second class. It was the biggest of the classes. Since I usually run 12.6-12.7, I thought that I had a good chance. In reporting the results, I will ignore reaction time, as this is the first time I have raced with this type of tree. It is immaterial in time trials, anyway.

First run:
60' 1.927 (poor)
1/8 8.256
1/4 12.695
MPH 111.20

I thought that this might be enough to get me in, but after the first round, I was 7th. Most of the cars lower than me ran too fast, so they had not qualified.

Second run
Too terrible to report. I had a miserable start, as I was so worried about the light, that I launched at too low an RPM and bogged (OK, it was 13.054)

I lined up in the last part of the group for the final time trial. I wanted to know what I needed to qualify. By the time I got to the line, I was about 12th. The cutoff was 12.62. I had only run below 12.5 once, so I thought that there was no way I would go too fast. My previous best was 12.47. I decided to ignore the light, go when I was ready and just hammer it.

Third run

60' 1.836
330' 5.238
1/8 8.028
MPH 87.51
1000 10.414
1/4 12.425
MPH 111.99

I knew that I had put down a fast run, but to run my fastest run ever was a surprise. The competition was tough, as 8 cars ran between 12.50 and 12.62. So much for winning! I didn't even qualify for the finals. The only consolation when I lose like that is that I ran a personal fast time. It was fun, but there is a big empty spot in my garage where that trophy could have been displayed!

Fun is what it's all about, eh Jim? Congratulations on your fastest time yet! :bu

Hi DRTH VTR -

Great runs!

I was really looking forward to running mine at bowling Green in May (the drags were canceled due to storms the night before...)

You are doing good off the line (if you have F1SC's especially). You have a good strong running car, too.

I would love to click off a 12.4 - I know the car will do it - but I just haven't been man enough yet...

best regards -

mqqn

I have made two changes for drag racing.
1. BFG Drag radials. They are worth quite a bit- maybe 0.3-0.4 60' and a hair more for the 1/4 mile.
2. Vararam. I think it helps me on the top end. It is worth about 3MPH in the 1/4 mile.

Also, an adjustment needs to be made for elevation. Firebird is 2600' elevation. Correction to sea level would cut about 0.3-0.4 seconds and add several MPH in trap speed.

mqqn, I hope you get out there and run your car. It is a very stout machine. I must have about 75 passes in this car, and well over 100 in the '97 that I used to have. I haven't broken anything yet.

Hi DRTH -

I have done aboout 14 passes total - and the best I have done is 12.9 -

A developer is attempting to get permission to build a 1/4 strip, a banked oval and a road course in the cornfield (near Peoria Illinois). If this happens I will get a lot more practice ;^)

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom