Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drivability without power-assists....???

Vette/Berlina-coupe

Corvette
C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!
;LOL :( :L :confused -No really, i strongly dislike having power-steering and power-brakes on my '80-C3, and all of the adverse clutter they entail beneath the hood, --so would much like to hear from those who have experienced the complete lack/removal of either or both of these systems!
Naturally, i could disconnect the PS/Control-ram coupled to the steering-linkage, and find out, but i just thought there may be some strong-armed guys who perhaps have found it doable without lengthening the pitman-arm for more mechanical advantage (plus i wonder if the steering-shaft coupling to the steering-gearbox can take the load on a daily basis).
As to the Pwr.BrakeSys., i would like to entirely remove the Vacuume/Pwr.Servo-unit, and actuate the Master-cylinder directly, -but would i still be able to lock-up (skid) the tires at highway speeds? So if you have tried entirely eliminating these systems, --and have managed ways around their employment i would greatly appreciate your inputs. Since cars back in the 60's and earlier managed to get by without these "sissy contrivances", -i can't help but feel that they are not absolutely necessary at speeds under 80mph for example. Please don't just respond saying i am out of my gorde for wanting to do this, --my motivation is to try and convert my C3 to just a simple simple simple underhood configuration, with just a single fanbelt like my old '66Chevy-van that has NO power-assists of any sort, yet stops on a dime (although i did install 1.5" larger 11"-drums on the front), and has reasonably quick steering-response (albeit it requiring a bit of muscle)... Any advise...?
~Bob vH

RESPONSE: -thank you all for your usual insightful information, any further comments/details are still very much welcomed (shall watch this thread), -and am thus now encouraged to think as result that i shall locate/replace the huge'ol/Pwr.brake-contrivance with an at least 1/8"-smaller "simple" manual/Master-cyl. (am in the process of installing the ss-calipers w/O-ring seals); --and also just remove the PS-pump & Slave-cyl. stuff (J.Z.- i don't suppose the Ackerman-arms on the '80-C3 still included the dual-holes for better manual-leverage), and "simply" install a large (about 18"-diam.) banjo/Steering-wheel more in keeping with the theme of the well executed 1936-'41/MB-540k neoclassic styling of the car (basically a stretched rebodied/'80-C3, -very close replica). Plus, i've a true mind to remove the AC-system as well, -leaving only a heater!
From what i can gather of your various comments, -these changes should give more of the '30's-feeling to the car. Am also contemplating removing the HydraMatic, and installing the Keisler-C3kit/5-speed stick, to complete the transformation. Very young members will think i am totally out of my gorde, --but certain of you purists will i suspect understand my mania, to open the hood and see near "simplicity" of the '30's, and to drive more with the "feel" of the '30's, --yet its really a nifty C3-Vette thereunder (replete with plastic rear-spring), '34Ford ss/door-handles outside operate the C3's oem/Pwr.latches, and inside its the oem/Claret-interior but with Burlwood-trim, -well er'yes, -it does have the Pwr.windows (although a few early C3's even sported manual-windows you say)...
~B.vH (certified-carnut)

NOTE: -here's a Vette-Berlina presently being offered on Ebay for your reference as to what it looks like...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2464366886&category=6173

BOB, i can tell you ,yes you can remove the belt to test out the feel of non-power.i've been having problems with my p/s since i bought it and have strong-armed it for awhile.
you do feel the road more ,plus any bump steer feels multiplied.at slow speeds you have to either manhandle the wheel ,or get the vehicle moving slightly to begin turning.
lastly, if you are going to use a non-stock wheel,try to stay with a 15" . smaller steering wheels make it harder to steer(less leverage)

good luck in your quest

ROBIN

Bob you can do it by taking the belt off, but you will not get the same feel as you would if it was standard steering.The gear box is different, plus you still have the cyl. and all the hoses. I have a 69 with standard steering and brakes. Ilike it very much, you get a real sports car feel. I think you could covert yours fairly easily.
Tom

If you go for manual brakes (OK, I won't just respond saying i am out of my gorde for wanting to do this) you will need to change your master cylinder for one with a smaller piston. I think the manual units have a piston size 1/8" smaller than power brakes.

Regarding the manual steering, I very recently had (no word of lie) the chance to drive a '56, a 62, and two '67 big blocks (one of them an L89) all within a 24 hour period. All of them had manual steering. I sure love the power steering in my '73............

Power and manual both use the same steering gear and rag joint - the difference starts at the pitman arm, and includes the control valve, relay rod, power cylinder, and different tie rod end position in the steering arm holes.

:beer

Vette/Berlina-coupe said:
;LOL :( :L :confused -No really, i strongly dislike having power-steering and power-brakes on my '80-C3, and all of the adverse clutter they entail beneath the hood, --so would much like to hear from those who have experienced the complete lack/removal of either or both of these systems!
My 1973 coupe has neither power brakes nor power assisted steering. It also doesn't have a/c, power windows, etc etc etc. The only power option selected by the person who ordered the car was... the L82.

The power brakes serve only to reduce brake pedal effort. To be honest, it's easier to modulate standard brakes as you can feel better through the pedal.

The standard steering is only a concern when you're trying to parallel park and what do you think the chances are of me parking where my softnose is vunerable? Like the standard brakes, performance driving is easier (IMHO) with standard steering as the road feel is better, plus it's easier to avoid over-correcting when powerdrifting around a corner.

It's not a "hairy chested man" thing- I prefer my car just the way it is.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom