Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driver Door Latch

66vette

Corvette
1966 Coupe, 2004 Convertible
I have a 1966 coupe that has issues with the Door Latch Release. The door opens fine with the outside latch release but I have difficulty with the inside Door Latch Release; I pull back as hard as I can and sometimes the Latch will not release. I removed the interior Door Panel looking for a linkage adjustment but could not find anything, it was just a rod with no adjustment. I am now asking for advise on how to permanantly fix this issue.
Thanks,

66 door hardware

I had the same issue with the drivers door. Here is what I did to repair it.
1. buy door repair kit (Zip) part # DR-342
2. remove door panel
3. remove rear window track (installs with two screws through rear of door
4. remove latch assembly (three screws on rear of door)
5. disconnect linkage rod from latch
6. remove latch assembly from door
7. activate latch to determine linkage piece that activates rotating latch
8. the rivet that secures this linkage will be worn. Use a grinder and grind off the head off the rivet
9. drive the rivet out with a punch
10. replace the rivet with the new two piece rivet and button head screw in the door repair kit (neat idea)
11. inspect the linkage again with the new rivet installed
12. if linkage arm is worn, use a pair of channel lock pliers and bend the latch slightly to take the "play" out of it
13. test the latch by activating the linkage arm to insure the latch mechanism will spin freely when the latch is
pulled
Your door will now open like a new one, from the inside.

67 door repair kit has an extra spring

In the door repair kit they have 4 springs for the 63-66 models and 6 springs for the 67 (3 for each door mechanism). The extra ones are very small circle springs (maybe 1/2" circle) with very short attaching tabs/hooks. Anyone able to tell me (or better show me) where this extra spring goes? I cannot figure out where this might go. Thanks. Hal

driver door latch

You can call Zip Products in Richmond and they can answer your questions about the springs.

In the door repair kit they have 4 springs for the 63-66 models and 6 springs for the 67 (3 for each door mechanism). The extra ones are very small circle springs (maybe 1/2" circle) with very short attaching tabs/hooks. Anyone able to tell me (or better show me) where this extra spring goes? I cannot figure out where this might go. Thanks. Hal

The extra circular spring for the '67 door latch is for the '67-only "free-wheeling" feature; you can see it in the upper left corner of the photo below.

DoorLatch67RH2.jpg

:beer

The extra circular spring for the '67 door latch is for the '67-only "free-wheeling" feature; you can see it in the upper left corner of the photo below.

View attachment 5706

John, in the upper left is the spring with long "legs" which supports the lock mechanism. I can't see it for sure but are you indicating that the smaller spring with "short legs" is behind the other spring? That black line? Or, did I miss your point?
Thanks.

John, in the upper left is the spring with long "legs" which supports the lock mechanism. I can't see it for sure but are you indicating that the smaller spring with "short legs" is behind the other spring? That black line? Or, did I miss your point?
Thanks.

I'm referring to the circular black spring at the upper left corner of the photo I posted above; it's actually double-wound, with a smaller circle in the middle of the larger circle, that fits over a tang on the mechanism to retain it. Photo below shows the same latch from a different angle which may help explain it.

DoorLatch67RH1.jpg

John, I'm not sure I yet see what you refer to so I copied your photo and circled what "I think" you are pointing at.

The large spring is circled in purple. The medium spring is circled in red. Those two I understand and have in the correct locations.
Is the small spring what I circled in yellow? I sort of see one "leg". If not, am I getting close? Sorry for all this but I do want to get it right. Thanks. Hal

Attachments

• Door-Mech.jpg
    Door-Mech.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 106
John, I'm not sure I yet see what you refer to so I copied your photo and circled what "I think" you are pointing at.

The large spring is circled in purple. The medium spring is circled in red. Those two I understand and have in the correct locations.
Is the small spring what I circled in yellow? I sort of see one "leg". If not, am I getting close? Sorry for all this but I do want to get it right. Thanks. Hal

Looks like you have it surrounded - I don't have a '67 latch handy outside of a car to examine; the location of the small yellow-circled spring on my '67 is blocked by the rear glass run channel, so I can't see it except in the photos I posted.

#3 remove rear window track

I had the same issue with the drivers door. Here is what I did to repair it.
1. buy door repair kit (Zip) part # DR-342
2. remove door panel
3. remove rear window track (installs with two screws through rear of door
After removing the 2 retaining screws for the rear window track, how much force is required to pull the rear window track? My '67 coupe rear window track seems to be stuck and I don't want to yank it too hard without knowing how much force to apply. Is there another screw?
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
I had the same problem; I resolved it by taking out the the latch mechanism from the door and modifying the stop. The outside pushbutton would open the door, the inside needed to travel further but couldn't because it hit the stop before it would open the door. By eliminating the stop it allowed the inside opener to travel further. Since I did this I have not had a problem.

How did you modify the door latch and did
you still need the latch repair kit from zip. Thanks

How did you modify the door latch and did
you still need the latch repair kit from zip. Thanks

Yes, we did use the kit. It was a friend's 67 and we since learned that one door from from (I think) a 66. I believe that was our confusion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom