Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Driver side door leaks water when it rains

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello, CAC friends my 92 Vette leaks water in toward the front of the door by the hinge when it rains it isn't much at all but it is something I would like to fix, does anyone know or can direct me in the right way to find out which inner door weather stripping piece I need to buy to replace this? I looked online and seen some listed I'm just not sure which one I should get and certainly don't want to buy the wrong one I might as well replace the passenger side also. Also what weather stripping piece might I buy if I was replacing the pieces around the door windows the top piece that mounts to the car and the one that actually mounts to the car door that you see when the window is down they don't leak but are getting kind of torn up some Thanks in advanced....Jessica :)

I'd go ahead and replace all the weather stripping due to age, fix one area, then next year another may pop up. I replaced the weather stripping in an 89 I had, not that hard a job, just time consuming and sometimes tedious. I believe there are a bunch of 'how to' threads buried in here somewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys I guess it does kind of make sense to replace them all, I appreciate it:)

are you sure it is the door, I thought that with my 90 and it turned out to be the bottom of the windshield. It only showed up going down the road in the rain.
I found it by using a hose and running full force water at the bottom of the windshield. It ran down the kick panel.

The water coming in by the windshield ? hmm I never heard this before then again I don't know much about cars anyway you say it ran down the kick panel also how did you fix this? did it do it on both sides on the car or just one or the other? I do know when I open the door after a rain there is a little puddle sitting on the bottom door sill I have a corvette labeled plastic cover on the bottom sills on both sides of the car and the water sits on that,also there is some moisture at the front of the door carpeted area that is attached to the dashboard where the door meets the dash board it is around the height of what the rear view mirror is on the door. I took it to a turbo jet car wash before also and when the water hit that side of the door I could feel water splashing on my left leg a little. This doesn't happen on the left side of the car at all and I heard some of the early 90's models had lots of issues with the inner door weather stripping going bad this is why I assumed that was the issue. If you have any more insight on the windshield being the issue or how to fix this please let me know. I will have to check out what you said with a hose Thanks :)

hello I was waiting for a reply from g winter about there post but got no reply has anyone else heard about this issue here:

"are you sure it is the door, I thought that with my 90 and it turned out to be the bottom of the windshield. It only showed up going down the road in the rain.
I found it by using a hose and running full force water at the bottom of the windshield. It ran down the kick panel."

if anyone has what is the best solution for this?

Waterleaks are a pain. they are also hard to tell someone what to do without seeing car. There should be a weather seal or barrier that seals door from door trim panel they can deteriorate, get torn, or removed over time. If the are not in good shape you need them. they use a bead type seal to stick to door itself. The door is designed to drain water out it you look at bottom side of doors you will see the drain holes make sure they are clear. The leak at the windshield - because the top can come off you need to remove the interior plastic trim going up the side of(A pillar) and across top of windshield. before reinstalling roof panel lube weatherstrips with silicone paste or dielectric grease. Don't goob it on apply like lotion. Weatherstrips as supposed to lubricated periodically. With top fastened down and doors closed spray windshield with hose see if you can see where water is coming in. Don't not use power washer weatherstrips are not designed to seal under high pressure. If windshield is leaking you can have glass shop reseal it or some parts store will sell a sealer designed for glass. If you can't see leak you may have to take dash pad out and retest to find leak. One other thing be sure the openings at cowl (base of windshield) are not full of debris. they should not hold water a 2 liter bottle of water should drain out quickly. Good Luck

Waterleaks are a pain. they are also hard to tell someone what to do without seeing car. There should be a weather seal or barrier that seals door from door trim panel they can deteriorate, get torn, or removed over time. If the are not in good shape you need them. they use a bead type seal to stick to door itself. The door is designed to drain water out it you look at bottom side of doors you will see the drain holes make sure they are clear. The leak at the windshield - because the top can come off you need to remove the interior plastic trim going up the side of(A pillar) and across top of windshield. before reinstalling roof panel lube weatherstrips with silicone paste or dielectric grease. Don't goob it on apply like lotion. Weatherstrips as supposed to lubricated periodically. With top fastened down and doors closed spray windshield with hose see if you can see where water is coming in. Don't not use power washer weatherstrips are not designed to seal under high pressure. If windshield is leaking you can have glass shop reseal it or some parts store will sell a sealer designed for glass. If you can't see leak you may have to take dash pad out and retest to find leak. One other thing be sure the openings at cowl (base of windshield) are not full of debris. they should not hold water a 2 liter bottle of water should drain out quickly. Good Luck

Kevo thanks for the info I will check this out:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom