Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Driver Side Door Will NOT Open

Buckskin7T7V

Corvette
1977 Buckskin
1977 Corvette: The driver side door will not open. I could not get the door panel all of the way off, so I have been trying to unlock it down the window slot. It seems the last lever that finally releases the hook lock will not release it. I am writing about the jaws that go around the stud that is bolted to the body of the car. Does anyone have any ideas. If worst case, do I have to unbolt the door at the hinges? Is this even possible?

you can not open it from the inside or the outside, is that right?

That is right. The linkage that is in the final chain will not release the lever that opens that hook that goes around the stud. I looked on the passenger side to see how it operates. I cannot get the inside panel off to get to it manually.

I have the assembly manual and it looks as if you have to remove the fender to get to the hinges. That is if you cannot open the door!

THANKS.
Next to destroying the door panel, I am at the end of my rope!!!

Do a search, i just came up with several related threads. good luck.

:w

I have the assembly manual and it looks as if you have to remove the fender to get to the hinges. That is if you cannot open the door!

You can hit the hinge bolts from inside after removing the kick panels and (possibly) the dash. This will free the door at the front, but it won't release the problem latch. It might give you enough wiggle room to get the interior door panel off.

:)

Roll down window,
Make sure door is Un-Locked,
Spray a liberal amount of PB Blaster into the Latch assy through window channel,
Shake door vigorously in and out while some one works the inside and out side door handles!!
It will eventually pop OPEN!!:thumb

Remove Latch, replace latch with new and Lubricate!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Well guys I finally got the door opened and believe me it was a pain in the tussa.

I had to order a new latch and a flapper door thingy. The little spring on the flapper door handle is broken and I have to order the whole damm assembly. Why oh why I ask myself.
This was not what keep the door from unlocking. There must be a spring in the door latch assembly that when you move the release levers it flips the hook open. Mine would not flip open.

Thanks for the help and have a safe and sane Labor Day.

Listen guys I was not trying to overload the internet with my question. I did not know where exactly to post it. When you cannot open the driver side door and you are looking at destroying a $419.00 plus tax door panel it gets kind of frustrating. I have helped people on this site and I have always appreciated the help I have received. The stupid yahoo put most of the e-mail in a spam folder which I just found. The panel is easy to remove when the door is opened. But give it a try when the door is locked and will not budge. I managed to rip the bottom screw bracket off of the door panel and with a crowbar I pried the panel off. As I wrote; the spring that helps open the claw shaped hook that is a part of the hinge would not open the hook up. I ordered two new hinges and they arrived this afternoon. Thanks for the help and in the future I will ask where I should post my question.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom