Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Driver Side Sport Electric Mirror (Outside) Nut question

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
ok, got a question for the experts:
My LH (Driver side) Outside mirror is wiggling around when i drive as one of the screws lost it's nut. The entire mirror assembly goes up and down when i try and move it (not just the glass but the whole thing, housing and all). I removed the door panel and pulled back the plastic, but with the window down, i couldnt reach the screw. I see it has lost the nut, hence the wiggling but i cant seem to find an easy way to put a new nut in there. Or even tighten down the other one (forward) to possibly make it wiggle less.

Is there a special tool to get a nut in there? My fingers arent huge, but i cant for the life of me reach it.. :ugh

Anyone got any tips? Or do i have to remove the innerts of the door, glas and all to do this?

:w
-Stefan

There is no easy way to replace the nut. Lower the window as much as possible for clearance. A swivel head ratchet attachment is handy.

:thumb

There is no easy way to replace the nut. Lower the window as much as possible for clearance. A swivel head ratchet attachment is handy.

:thumb

Mike,
i had the window all the way down and there was no room for any ratchet, swivel or not. Even my fingers wouldnt go into that hole, past the window. I see the hole through the inner door side, but that would necessitate the glass being out of the door. I tried with the window up as well, but there is too much lower channel and window still left to go above that (Obvisouly, looking at it afterwards, as the mirror sits way top of the door).. ;shrug

Is the whole mirror assembly is lose? or just the head? Ether way you will most likely have to remove the glass to get to one of the 2 nuts that hold on the base assemble to the door. If its the head you will have to remove the mirror and there are s screws up in the base that get lose. They just screw into aluminum so don't over tighten them or better use some toctite on them. When removing the glass be sure to mark everything to make it easier to re-just when you replace it. Hope these help.

1968-82 Corvette Door Glass Service | CC Tech - Corvette Performance, Restoration and Repair

How do I remove the 77-82 RH Sports Mirror? - Corvette Forum

Great stuff Steve.

Yeah, it's the whole mirror assembly is wiggling. And i am not keen on taking out the window. I might have the shop deal with that. The window needs adjusting still anyway. Much appreciated the links, that really helps!!:thumb

:w
-Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom