Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

driver window quit working

LanceB

Corvette
Hello all. OK I gave up on my AC years ago...but that deal requires to be able to get my window down! It quit working on Friday. Where would you start searching? I am sure its the power window motor but hard to say without taking stuff apart I guess. For some reason the drivers window was always slower than the passenger window.

Does the other window work? If so, the fuse is OK. Next to check is the switch. You'll need to remove the side panel from the console. Use a volt meter to see if 12V is going to the motor. Not sure if there is a connector at the door that can be unplugged and probed for 12V. If so, that's the first place to check since it will have 12V if the switch is good. If you have 12V there, then the motor may be kaput.
The diagram attached is for a 78, but it should be the same as your 81' except for the fuse box.

Gary

Power Windows

I did mine earlier this year..its a PIA but it can be done without having to take the window and tracks out...
there is a 'trap' door at the bottom of the door to access the motor to be able to check or replace it.
be sure to check your switch 1st..its easier to change than the motor...
Good luck,let us know how it goes.....

And while you're in there......might as well lube the window regulator pivots/wheels and lube the glass tracks. Makes for a quicker/smoother running window. :cool!:

Thanks for advice. well all of a sudden the window started working. I have no idea why but it seems like when it is all the way up, it locks up so that sounds like something motor related? The bigger problem emerged on Friday and now my driver side door will not open from the inside or the outside and I have to climb out Bo and Luke Duke style. Some linkage must have come loose. So I guess I am going to try to get the panel off and start rebuilding this darn door. Is there a way (from the inside) to unlatch the door without the panel off? Seems like if I could get it open it would be easier to get the panel off and start working. Getting the panel off while door still shut could be tricky.

You can look down into the door to where the latch is and POSSIBLY see what is un hooked(sounds like it is that area)....you might want try it in a shaded area as well, you may also be able to try to open the door through there....
Good Luck...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I just rebuilt the drivers door in my 72 last week. My problem was the glass would drop in the door from broken rollers. I haven't been into an 81 door but suspect it should be the same unless you have power locks?

When I work on the 68-77 doors to PM them, I remove the door panel, plastic sheet, inside rain/anti-thieft guard over the latch, then the latch. I wash the latch and then spray it clean with brake cleaner. I use the spray on white grease to lube it and check the action. I install it in the door and with it open, adjust the throw on the outside handle and lock. I had some wear on my ignition key that was causing the outside lock to bind, almost felt like it was going to break off. I went to a locksmith with the key and cylinder, he made a copy from the code that worker perfect.

The window repair consisted of removing the motor,tracks,glass, then blasting, etching and painting them. Lubing with white lubriplate and testing the sissor action in a bench vise using a battery starter for power. Worked great and now the LH door is done. I added a new weatherstrip to the door to replace the 39 year old dried out original. I did it over a couple of days and it works better then ever and I've owned it since 1978.

If the plastic shield is in place, then it may be tricky to get into the latch to release the lever. There are some pictures posted on the forums on the latch to show where to press on it to open the door. If you can't find any let me know and I'll see what I can find in my files.

Yes, you can get the door open without removing the panel. The picture below is looking down into the door right at the outside door handle. You will see a tab sticking out from the latch assembly (it's about a 1/4" wide). It's on the right side of the photo (sorry, I couldn't get any more light to the area, but you will see when you look at your door). Using a flat blade screw driver of sufficient length to reach it, push down on the tab and the door will open. I just did this on my 78' so I know it works.

Good Luck,

Gary

Doorlocktab.jpg

The screwdriver from the top got it open....seems to be opening and shutting now. I assume it needs lubed up and it maybe just binded up. I do have to "slam" the door on the driver side to get it to shut tight, which I really hate to do. Thanks for the help.

Seeing that you had a problem, I would remove,clean and lube the latch assembly before you get stuck again. I can feel the difference between the door/window I just PM'd and the other one which wasn't touched in 40 years.

Window seems to be just working all of a sudden.

I tried to lube the door lock mechanism up while it was still in the car (I know I now should have taken the assembly out) and it seemed to be working well. I had door sag so I had a body shop put a new pin and bushing in it and it has opened and shut better than it ever has. So I take it to work today and when I go to lunch I cannot unlock it. The last time when it would't open, it was unlocked so I think this may be a little different. I have tried to pull the lock rod with a hanger, I have poked and prodded a little bit with a long flathead screwdriver....but no luck.

This darn driver door has layered issues.

Been fooling with this thing for several hours now. Door panel won't come out without door open so no luck that way. I keep looking at the passenger side and trying to move the same parts on the driver side with a screwdriver and a clothes hanger. It just won't come unlocked. The outer door lock is a little loose in the door. I have AAA I wonder if I need some special tool to pop this thing that they can do in minutes. I also see a loose spring in there too but it is hanging down in there so far I don't see anyway to grab it much less see if it can even be re-attached. ARRGGHHH!!!

Someone please tell me I don't have to drill through the fiberglass or anything crazy.

YESSS THANK YOU!!! Sorry for the play by play guys. I honestly don't think I could keep this old vette for 10 years if it wasn't for this website! Now to either replace this thing or see if it can be reconditioned.

Lance,
In post 5 you said the window fixed itself, maybe, but check the wires between the door and the frame, they break in there.

I can see a spring in that area (that is near the lever you pointed out that I push that opens the door?) but a lot of lithium grease makes it hard to tell if its broken until I spray out with brake cleaner. Not sure if I want to spray brake cleaner with mechanism on the car. Mechanism needs to come off to replace the spring you are pointing to I assume.

The spring I can see that is broken (100% sure) is up higher in what is the dark area of this picture. It looks easy to put another where this particular one is. I have the door open now and I can't shut it or it locks again. I try to pull on the inside lock, pull up on the rod but I can't get it to stay in an unlock position; too much resistance so I decided I don't try to force it.

Remove it from the door and wash it with brake cleaner real good. Lube it with spray on white grease then test the action. Install it back in the door, DO NOT close the door. Latch it with a screwdriver and then adjust the outside handle throw by moving the longe threaded rod nut. The clip on this part slides out toward the door and the nut has a pin on the back side that the clip catches and holds in place. If you bend it they're still available from a vendor. Check the action of the key in the door lock cylinder, it should be smooth no resistance. If it binds go to the local locksmith and get a new ign key cut- from code not the key and try it. I just did this with my 72, the original key was worn and would bind in the lock. It worked fine in the ignition but not the door. When you're sure it all set shut the door, window down,panel off and check the operation. if good reassemble.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom