Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driver's Seat Won't Fold

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
My '81 suddenly developed a case of "no-fold" in the driver's seat. Seat won't fold forward to get at the battery door behind it. Just started doing that...worked fine before.

Before I disassemble anything, is this a common problem? Is it easily fixable, or do I need a new hinge for the driver's seat?

;shrug

see if you can get the covers off the hinges and check to see if you can spot the problem.....

This happened to mine.you need to remove the plastic parts that cover up your hinges.in there you will find a tab that you can push up and out of the way.after that put some grease to free it up.this is a design that gm put into the seats for sudden stops.once you get in there you should be able to find the tap I'm talking about.I'ts been awhile since I've done this and have to do it again to my drivers side.I USED A SMALL FLAT TIP SCREWDRIVER.I'ts really an easy fIX.The only thing is that it might be stuck on the outbound hinge or the inboard hinge.So be prepared to take them both off.Just fiddle with it with the screwdriver and grease it up.I didn't do the last step so I'm back to the start.As you are sticking the screwdriver in there wiggle it around and push each part of the hinge because I've forgot what one unlocks it.I hope this made since,I've been on hold with my insurance co while typing this.

HEY!

We have the same car! I just had my seats out putting in new covers and foam, and carpet, had the same problem. That is a chevrolet thing, it is a trigger that locks when you slam on breaks, to help you stay in the seat, sometimes it locks when you jar the seat the wrong way, a couple of good jiggles and shakes of the seat aught to make the pin drop back down.

If you don't mind tell me about your car, where you got it, paid for it, condition etc. Only odd thing about mine is it didn't come with the rear defroster.

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses! I love this forum!

Does that pin drop down...or push up? I'm going to try this fix tonight when I get home (and there are no plastic covers on the driver's side of mine...is there somewhere to get them?)

-------
gambit --
Bought my '81 locally early last summer. Paid 7K for it, which I thought was pretty good!

It's in really nice cosmetic condition. Has the mirrored T's. A few very tiny stone ticks in the paint on the nose, but they're all touched-up. Leather is good, carpet too, dash has a minor crack in it...but nothing that is noticable on a fast look-see. Gas gauge doesn't work...I figure it's the sending unit, since that seems to be the consensus here. Air doesn't work either...don't know if just needs recharging or what...it's not a major issue with me.

Runs great. EGR stuff was removed by previous owner, and it has one of those Edelbrock power manifolds and a matching Edelbrock 4-bbl. Seems to have more torque than my brother-in-law's '79 with the same engine, which makes me smile!

Had to replace the center spoiler/air dam. Previous owner had hit one too many curbs and broke off the front metal support bar, and the piece had dropped, tearing it up pretty badly. What was there was just wired in place. Got a replacement from Eckler's and rigged a new front support for it, now it's good as new. Notice my engine runs cooler, too.

Had the leaking steering control valve and cylinder replaced last weekend. Can't believe how much better it drives! Didn't realize how sloppy the steering was. It looks like every bushing underneath is dry-rotted. Will start replacing them as money permits...probably do the rear strut supports next.

How's yours?

Small screwdriver and a bit of fumbling worked just fine. :D

Never could actually see what I was doing, but I felt it go back where it's supposed to, and the seat folds again, like it should. Thanks!

Did you grease it up.I didn't thats whay my drivers seat is messed up agan.I'm not sure how they work.I know why they work so I'm having trouble figuring out how to stop it.I wonder if they mean grease or oil?

I didn't use any grease. Couldn't even see what it was I was moving. Still seems to be working OK. If it goes bad again, will probably put a little white lithium grease in there, on the end of the screwdriver...I'd stay away from oil.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom