Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drove my first Vette

MR. T.

Corvette
1977 Light Blue
I was able to get a look at the 81 I mentioned earlier. It is pretty nice shape for a 25 year old car. the paint was good a few scratches and one chip on the nose. Tires were good and the aluminum wheels with spinners were very nice. The interior was ok, some signes of wear on carpet and seats, as well the battery cover door was broken. All guages worked as well. The holders for the roof panels was in the back and the seals on the doors seemed good. The doors were tight with no up and down movement when open. It fired right up(after I remembered that you have to pump the throttle to set the choke) It rode nice with no quirks, and everything worked.

Now the problems, stock radio is missing and bezel is broken no big deal, the knob for the wipers is missing, the blower only blows hot air, no cool and the air doesn't work. As well the hood is slightly out of alignment on the driver's side. But my biggest grip is the thing was a dog, my wife's malibu would leave it in a heart beat. Is this the way they are stock or is there possibly something wrong with the carb or something. It ran well with no strange noises, so the motor is probably ok.

I really liked teh car and I will get one, but I am disappointed with the performance, as this is the only one I have driven, I have nothing to compare it to. It was an auto, but it still should have been able to light up the tires.

They want $10,500 cdn and it has 126,000kms. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Go to the TECH Center in the banner at the top of the page, look under Model Center for Identification to get information on the '81 Vette.
You will find the 350 is only rated at 190 hp. It is the last model with the Q'jet carb and the first with the computer controlled ignition. My '81 runs fine on regular gas, but you can tell the difference with premium.
The auto tranny barks the tires in second if I push it, but also drops the gas mileage to about 10 MPG.
If you have to burn rubber on every drive, hold out for a big block motor and straight shift. I have more fun with the handling of my Vette than smoking the tires, as I realize it has limitations, too.
:), thus my screen name! SLOVETTE.

Mr. T-

Sounds like it may have some problems. Assuming an '81 has good tires, and an auto tranny, you cannot just launch and squeel the tires on demand. Going around corners, turning the wheel all the way (to do donuts), going uphill from a stop, yes, but not on level ground. 190 hp just isn't enough (even though it has 280 ft/lbs of torque.. someone explain THAT to me!) She sounds like she has some real problems though. In no way shape or form should is feel slow, and no malibu will ever beat it! If I have my math right they are asking $8925 USD. I only paid $6500 for mine, and it sounds like mine was in much better shape when I got it. My advice is to hold off on this one.. when you find "the one" you'll know it, and you'll write the check that day.

-Tatortot

:D Hold out....When the right Vette comes along , you will know it......It will grab you....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom