Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dual fan wiring

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
well went to pick a part today and got two complete fan wiring harnesses & relays out of chevy lumina's and modified a lumina relay bracket so it holds both relays as well as the fuse holder and power block then mounted the whole unit to my drivers side inner fender, wiring it all up was very simple ... seems to work real well and in the event of a failure parts are easy to replace and redily available at any parts store..... total cost was $7.00 that was the best part of it all

YES!

This is what I have been stressing to people over and over and over and over and over (you get the picture), that you can easily install stock relays and wire assemblies from other cars to get a clean, neat, professional, and dependable fan circuit. Everytime I see a fan wired direct with a toggle switch, I cringe inside. If it is good enough for the factory to use relays on virtually any modern car, then it is better than good enough on our old ones that are being modified.

Relays were once a mystery to me, but after seeing how well they work, and all the many things they can do for you, I can't get enough of them!

Good going!

I just created a "how to" thread here

Relay Thread

with photos for those of you still confused about how relays work and the value of using a junk yard harness in your conversion.

69myway

I once tried the direct wiring of dual fans to a toggle switch on my trans am end result wasn't good your are definately right about aperage draw problems, on my trans am it melted the switch first and took out my ignition switch after installing the older style relays problem was completely resolved, I like this newer setup I made yesterday that I'm going to pick-a-part today and grad about four more setups like the one I made who know this might be a little money making idea I have here, the picture you showed of the weather tight relays are the fan relays that I am using to, the bracket I used was the lumina's ralay bracket that I cut and welded back together so its a small compact part that holds everything needed to run the fans and small enough to be mounted in smaller areas under the hood, my first choice of locations didnt work well on drivers side inner fender the hood support hit the assembly when hood was shut, so now its on the passenger side which made wiring it up even easier since my sources of power & thermostatic switch are on this side of the car, Im also going to add a remote switch to the system to over-ride the thermo switch so the fans can be turned on manually in the event of a thermo switch failure

when I get a camera I will post pics of all my mods

I agree. I have to chuckle whenever I see a post from someone that purchased the relays and wiring from DeWitts' or other vendors for $50-75 or more - Nuts!.

I picked up a 3 relay set of GM weatherpack 30a relays and wiring from a Caddy (newer Camaros/Firebirds are good donors also) in a bone yard for $5. I did not like the mounting bracked/fixture so I looked at other GM cars and found a nice bracket for $1. I also picked up a handful of non-weatherpack relays to have as spares, and a fuse block, for future projects for a couple of bucks...

just got done finishing my second fan relay set-up I'm thinking I am goin to start selling these now since it is cheap to build them but demand would be the only thing that would hurt me, that and how many harnesses would I be lucky enough to get, I figure I can make a easy 30 dollar profit on each of these, maybe when I get better with fiberglass molding I will make a shroud for dual fans and sell the whole thing as a kit and make it truly a bolt in modification, right now I have a set of 95 vette fans coming and already adapted a C-4 vette radiator to mine so hopefully if all goes well I will have a real nice cooling fan set-up

well got my corvette dual fans today the guy I bought them off said they were 95's but I guess 90-96 were the same, I'm going to try and make them fit this weekend and will let you all know what it takes, with any luck they will cool the motor just fine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom