Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dull Lenses

H

hooks

Anyone ever here of this ? Was told that the stock plastic lens covers on my 1993 Vette (on the front ) have a film that can be removed from the back side & then replaced with new film to produce a clean shiney look --comments

I don't know about the later yrs but my 90 had dull lenses.
I bought some plastic polish( very fine rubbing compound) and worked them over with that. Took some elbow grease but shine out much brighter now. A mothers ball in a drill would work just to cheap to buy one.
I never heard of fixing lenses from the inside. I think they are a sealed unit anyhow.

Glenn
:w

Interesting....
In have been debating for 2 years about taking the front bumper cover off just to replace those dull lenses...and this is nothing unusual. I see too many replacements available, new.

I use 2000 grit light wet sand and 3M super duty compound with a wool wheel if there real bad and then finish them with 3M Plastic Cleaner Polish with a foam wheel and then wax!!:thumb
Otherwise I just use the 3M Plastic Cleaner Polish and then wax!:beer

I use 2000 grit light wet sand and 3M super duty compound with a wool wheel if there real bad and then finish them with 3M Plastic Cleaner Polish with a foam wheel and then wax!!:thumb
I did this on my 06 Grand Prix headlights ,, only by hand. It did wonders for the way the dims shine out.

Glenn
:w

My 1992 is in the shop getting stripped and repainted. I picked up the lenses from them on Thursday and spent yesterday working on them and they came out great. At one point I realized I was not actually taking out just the dull and scratches but imperfections in the lense it self. I used Maguire cutting compound and the air sander. The body shop gave me some type of polish to use after that and then said to wax them. Huge difference.

The above is basicly what you get when you buy one of those 'Clear Lens repair kits'. I bought one and worked on my winter cars right hand cloudy headlight lens. It works, but not all that great. Wound up just replacing the lens, it was cheap $25.50 and my local body shop installed it free.

Some other "cheapo" ways to polish plastic are peanut butter and toothpaste....actually works VERY well!:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom