Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dyno Day

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
Had an opportunity to get my 93 Corvette (62K on car) dyno'ed today and took it. 3 pulls on a Mustang dyno for $75, all for charity.

First off some background, only power influence mods/changes are as follows:

X-pipe in place of resonator
Muffler Eliminators
Fresh LT4 Valve springs, installed over last winter.
Fresh, clean fluids in driveline. Mobil 1 Syn 5W30+BG MOA, Redline in Trans./Diff.
Fresh plugs/wires. ALL AcDelco

Data for today:
Crappy Sheetz 92 Octane Fuel (I usually run Sunoco 93, have not been close enough to one lately to fill up, that and not concerned about MAX HP with auto-x).

Dyno cell was 1 bay enclosed shop, with door open all of the day since 9AM. TPG Tuning in Blairsville, PA.
Weather data at approx. 6:30PM 6/16/13
Humidity 83%
Tempurature 74 Degrees
Pressure 29.96 inches
1000ft above sea level

I made a HUGE mistake, I let the car sit after a 1 hour drive and auto-x ALL day to eat right before this. The IAT was heat soaking during that hour or so. Moved the car maybe 50 yards and did the pulls. Just before dyno pulls car was approx. 150 oil temp, 185 coolant. Last pull was around 200 coolant, did not see oil.
I am willing to bet the lower HP is due to the IAT being heat soaked, hood was never open ALL day. I did this at the track once, KILLED my top end by 6 or 7 MPH in the 1/4 mile. F

FYI, personal best ET is 13.38@105 with a 1.99 60'.

Long story short:
3 Pulls ALL SAE Corrected Rear Wheel numbers:
Car is VERY consistent layed down right on top of each other.

246HP and 304TQ

VERY flat torque curve from 2 to 5K.
One guy said, it was the flattest he had seen all day.

Using a 17% driveline loss, my engine is making 288HP and 355TQ at the CRANK SHAFT. Damn healthy torque numbers. Screw HP, torque wins races.

FYI, I set FTD (Fastest time of day) at my auto-x event today. Torque its whats for dinner!!!

What did I learn:
My engine is VERY healthy.
Sounds F-en mean as Hell. Everyone else plugged their ears after she cracked 2K, I didn't I just was grinning ear to ear. Sound of that car is Heaven sent. AMERICA!!!
This car never ceases to amaze me. Dave McLellan and Co. need more credit than they get.

The important point is your TTD at your event today. Congratulations. Racing of any kind is the real test. Dynos are simply for bragging rights or the occasional diagnostic or tuning help.

Tune worth the money?

My question is: Am I likely to gain very much, if any, from a dyno tune on my stock 89 with L98, 44,000 miles.. Would it be worth the money?

I would think not. As it logs Hp/Tq and fuel air mixture it is somewhat useful as a diagnostic tool, but with a stock setup a tune is of little value.

I think the money would be better spent on a scanning tool (either computer based or standalone) that will help you keep your car in tip top shape. OTOH, if you never work on it yourself that, too, would be of minimal value.

Perry

(snip)
246HP and 304TQ

VERY flat torque curve from 2 to 5K.
One guy said, it was the flattest he had seen all day.

Using a 17% driveline loss, my engine is making 288HP and 355TQ at the CRANK SHAFT. Damn healthy torque numbers. Screw HP, torque wins races.

FYI, I set FTD (Fastest time of day) at my auto-x event today. Torque its whats for dinner!!!

What did I learn:
My engine is VERY healthy.
Sounds F-en mean as Hell. Everyone else plugged their ears after she cracked 2K, I didn't I just was grinning ear to ear. Sound of that car is Heaven sent. AMERICA!!!
This car never ceases to amaze me. Dave McLellan and Co. need more credit than they get.

C4 manuals loose about 18% so if you made 246 SAE at the wheels, your engine makes about 300-hp SAE net at the flywheel which is the stock rated horsepower for an LT1.

C4 manuals loose about 18% so if you made 246 SAE at the wheels, your engine makes about 300-hp SAE net at the flywheel which is the stock rated horsepower for an LT1.

It was close enough for me I suppose. I was impressed by the torque numbers and more so by the curve. Its VERY flat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom