Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EARLY AMERICAN PLATES

In Michigan we only have a rear plate, and we can choose the Historic plate or the original year plate or a host of regular and personalized. Historic plates have to be renewed, but the original year plate is lifetime.

MD used the same plate for many years back in the early 80's as they still do today. At 25 years you can have either "Historic"; "Antique" or "Street Rod" markings on the regular MD plate. I have the "Antique" marked plate which also got me exempted from the MD Emissions Inspection (fubar) and I quickly removal ALL my emissions equipment and cat. Car runs better than ever.

......... nut

Nut,

What did you have to do to remove the emissions equipment? Did it affect the computer, carb, etc...?

Dave

I got the "early american" plates on mine in CT also. Ken

If you get antique plates in MA, you can only drive it on Sundays, to parades, or to the repair (during the week) shop. I costs a lot less to insure the car, but you're limited to when you can drive it. I wouldn't want 'em.

Good old mass and their Bull**** rules. I dont miss any of that crap.

schweng18 said:
Nut,

What did you have to do to remove the emissions equipment? Did it affect the computer, carb, etc...?

Dave

Dave...... removing the emissions equipment was simply; well.... removing it all. As for the catalytic converter; that just happened to "fall off" after a Sawz-all blade hit it. then I took it in and had true dual stainless 3" to Flowmasters put on.

Otherwise I just plugged the lines and sealed of any connectors. I still have the O2 sensor in-line for the ECM carb adjustments. She runs perfectly and has for years. The headers and exhaust change made a big difference. I had put the headers on years before the duals.

Good luck.......... nut

Schweng..... do understand once you yank all that stuff off you've pretty much locked it into your private stable. If you sold it in most states the law would require ALL the emissions equipment back on. Unless of course that states "antique, historic or street rod" registrations didn't require a complete safety check or inspection.

Good Luck............... nut

I went on e-bay and bought some nice clean 81 texas plates (classic white with black lettering) for less than $15. All I had to do was have the plates checked by the Texas DMV for originality, pay the classic car fee, and I was good to go. It's a nice touch.

Nut said:
Schweng..... do understand once you yank all that stuff off you've pretty much locked it into your private stable. If you sold it in most states the law would require ALL the emissions equipment back on. Unless of course that states "antique, historic or street rod" registrations didn't require a complete safety check or inspection.

Good Luck............... nut

It's not going anywhere, the car was my father's, it will be in my stable for a long long time. But thanks for the advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom