Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Easy to break in to!!!????

lov-n-life

Corvette
2004 Commemorative Coupe
Hi guys and gals. Got a question here concerning a friend's Z06. I have a coupe so I wasn't able to answer it for him. Apparently his Z was broken into this week, and the cops watched the suspect and then arrested the guy when he broke in. Anyway, no damage done to the Z, but the crook apparently got the rear deck lid open (this probably applies to convertibles as well!!) with out leaving a single mark on the car! No scratches, impressions, damage, etc. Cops said he was able to just "pop" it open. Not sure how this was done, but has anyone else experienced this or know how it could have been done and how to remedy this possible security hole in the car? Cops said it did set off the alarm. As soon as the trunk opened the lights started flashing and the alarm went off. So what ever he did, it did not evade the security system. Anyway, any info I can pass on would be helpful. Thanks.

Mike

Mike,
This is the first I've ever heard about a Z06 rear deck lid being "popped" opened. Unless the lid wasn't properly latched, I can't imagine how it could have been done without forcing the thing open- and that would certainly lead to some damage.

Have you spoken to your friend about any theories he may have on how it might have happened? How sure is he about there not being any damage? And, how well does his deck lid close and latch now, after the break in?

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

-Patrick

Patrick said:
Mike,
This is the first I've ever heard about a Z06 rear deck lid being "popped" opened. Unless the lid wasn't properly latched, I can't imagine how it could have been done without forcing the thing open- and that would certainly lead to some damage.

Have you spoken to your friend about any theories he may have on how it might have happened? How sure is he about there not being any damage? And, how well does his deck lid close and latch now, after the break in?

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

-Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Same thoughts I had. I confirmed with him, and the deck lid was closed all the way, and in fact the cops asked his wife (she was out shopping with it at the time) the very same thing. She demonstrated to them that if the lid was not closed all the way, the alarm would not set. He (my friend) checked over the car and there is no damage anywhere. The cops were approaching from behind and did not see what the crook did to get in. He said nothing is tweaked at all, the lid shuts just the same. He is going to pull out the flashlight this evening and look under the lid and in the latches to see if there is any damage anywhere he might have missed. He doesn't have any theories on how it was done either. Will post back tomorrow after he has a chance to do a thorough look over.

Mike

Update

As promised, here is an update to this issue. A thorough inspection was performed and the only indication anything happened is an indention in the rubber seal where what ever was used to pop the trunk was placed against the seal to pry on the center trunk latch. There are also some markings on the latch. No other damage to the car and the mark on the seal is not permanent. Now I wouldn't suggest anyone go out and try to pop their trunks on a Z06 or convertible, but it would be interesting to see just how easily this can be done without damage to the car other than marking the latch and rubber seal. :ugh

first, so did the lights flash and alarm sound or didn't they? hard to tell from your descriptioin - if they did, then system worked as advertised - if they didn't then, there is obviously something wrong with the system

second, locks only "keep honest folks out" - thiefs will always figure a way to get in, and as you indicated after looking further, you could see indentations where whatever was used to "pop the latch" was so indicated

c5vetter said:
first, so did the lights flash and alarm sound or didn't they? hard to tell from your descriptioin - if they did, then system worked as advertised - if they didn't then, there is obviously something wrong with the system

Yes, the alarm did work as advertised... lights, horn, the whole 9 yards.

As for the locks, I would have expected it to at least be difficult enough to pop that it would cause damage. In this case, someone could break into a Z06 or Convertible take whatever they want out of the back end and close the car and the owner would never even know until the next time they went looking for something in the trunk (provided they didn't hear the alarm becase the car was out in a parking lot) because most people completely ignore alarms now a days.

quick try on my 2001 Z06 - no way to get a screw driver in far enough without causing damage to even begin attempting to lift on the hatch! alarm went off almost immediately! only way the hatch could have been opened with a screw driver is if it wasn't completely closed! need a VERY SLIM screw driver to even get close to the lock, and I couldn't even with the hatch not completely closed!

c5vetter said:
quick try on my 2001 Z06 - no way to get a screw driver in far enough without causing damage to even begin attempting to lift on the hatch! alarm went off almost immediately! only way the hatch could have been opened with a screw driver is if it wasn't completely closed! need a VERY SLIM screw driver to even get close to the lock, and I couldn't even with the hatch not completely closed!

I don't know if it was a screw driver that was used. The owner of the car believes it was something more along the lines of something "J" shaped as he wasn't able to see how a screw driver could get in there with out causing damage either. It seems to be a mystery right now just how the crook got in. Maybe we'll learn something more when the police report comes out...:confused Could the crook be dumb enough to give away his secret???? Even if he did, I don't think that I would want to post how he did it in an open forum!!!:crazy

thanks for bringing this to our attention - would love to find out

Does the Z have an emergency cable to open the trunk? It was required by law and is in all '04's. I not sure if '03's had it. I think he just slipped it pass the rubber sill then grabed the release cable. Seems very possible and easy to do.

Z06nut said:
Nobody agrees with me?

Z06 nut,
Sounds like it could work to me. Does anyone know an ex convict that did time for car theft that they could ask? Reformed one of course. Im watching a guy closley that just was released for that, that walks up and down the sidewalk everyday in my area. But something/instinct LOL, tells me he is not completely reformed, so best not draw attention to my vette.
Teresa

I left my key's in the back in my 03 Cp.1 time, At a car show!! took me 1 coat hanger and 20 sec. to get them out!! It was Easy!! Did not Leave a mark!! My alarm was not set though!! My hatch has 2 latch's!! :naughty: gmjunkie!!

HotVetteHotBlonde-Wink said:
Im watching a guy closley that just was released for that, that walks up and down the sidewalk everyday in my area. But something/instinct LOL, tells me he is not completely reformed, so best not draw attention to my vette.
Teresa

Yeah- I agree. No reason to add opportunity to motive or vice versa.

shop rat?

Anyone who works in the auto body trade knows lots of tricks to get into a car and heck they have cars to practice on all the time.

If he was a pro he probably had a special tool, properly bent and taped or padded so it didn't leave a mark. Strong magnet?

While I was working on an old MG, my pal, a "shop rat" was helping. He locked his keys in his Chevette. He lived two blocks away so I offered a ride to get his spare keys .... "Nah! Just gimmie that thin screw driver." the rear window seal was out in ten seconds flat, keys recovred and the window replaced in about a minute flat. I stood in awe.

I have broken into my Z a few times and it is super easy if you ever accidently lock your keys in. PM me, or email me, and I will reveal how to do it without any tools. I will have to verify who you are first and only members I am farmiliar with will be able to find out how. Sorry for the rest of you, but this is top secret. I don't mean to be an a$$ hope everyone understands.

3 sec. your in!! Junk!!

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
I have broken into my Z a few times and it is super easy if you ever accidently lock your keys in. PM me, or email me, and I will reveal how to do it without any tools. I will have to verify who you are first and only members I am farmiliar with will be able to find out how. Sorry for the rest of you, but this is top secret. I don't mean to be an a$$ hope everyone understands.

Your mail box is full.:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom