Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ebay wiring harnesses

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I would like to replace all my wiring in my car not really that it needs it but just to eliminate any future hassles after the car is back together.

So on ebay they do list new harnesses BUT list them for 81-82 and so on. Was The 82 a one year only harness and no other years would interchange with it? Or are the sellers accurate in the fact a 81 will work in my 82? I am just skeptical it could possible work due to the fact it has EFI and so on or did a 81 harness have provisions to run what was on the 82.

I emailed them and got the response it will work on any 81-82 corvette .... So have any of you really bought one of these harnesses and it work as good as the original or am I just heading down an electrical nightmare road?

Which wiring harness are you wanting to replace? Rear will possibly be the same for 81 and 82. Front (headlights, etc) is possibly the same. Engine harness is unique to the 82 due to the original TBI. Main dash harness is unique to the 82.

:)

Look up electric limited. They have all the wiring harnesses you will need, call them, maybe they will cut you a deal if your ordering quite a bit from the, since they are not the only ones selling them.. I have had great luck with their harnesses and tech support!!!

I basically want to replace all the harnesses since I plan on making the car my daily driver. Aside from the relays in the storage compartments I don't think anything is butchered. But alot of the connectors are showing there age especially the engine ones. I know my starter harness is a problematic area since sometimes I have to wiggle it for the car to start.

But after re-reading the ebay auction it says their harnesses are re-furbished but to what extent are they refurbished is my question.

If a 81 had a electric fuel pump then the rear harness should work .....

Only downfall about this whole car is I will never see a fraction of what I put into it. But hey, I can't wait to cruise up the PCH without a top LOL

Changing all the wiring in an 82 is going to be a difficult and time consuming job. Considering the labor involved and that you'll be disassembling a lot of different areas of the car, I'd be very careful about buying replacement wiring harnesses on eBay.

If context of the question you asked the eBay vendor about wiring harnesses was: all the wiring as a package and they told you MY81 and 82 are the same, then I'd go looking for another vendor because 1) from a whole vehicle perspective, 81 and 82 are not the same and 2) a vendor which actually knows something about these cars would tell you that a harness for the entire car is not available as one assembly but comes in several different parts and, with respect to 81/82, some parts are the same, some are similar and some (ie: the engine controls) are vastly different.

Lastly, quality and cost are an issue. Making writing harnesses is labor intensive. Harnesses made with OE-equivalent materials by experienced workers are going to be quite expenses because there are no free lunches in making those harnesses. You stated previously that the reason you want to replace the wiring is to "eliminate any future hassles" that's an even better reason to shop for quality first and price second.

Changing all the wiring in an 82 is going to be a difficult and time consuming job. Considering the labor involved and that you'll be disassembling a lot of different areas of the car, I'd be very careful about buying replacement wiring harnesses on eBay.

Thats why I'de like to do it now since nothing is in the interior, probably the hardest part will be the underhood harness but at this point pulling the interior harness is a piece of cake.

When I was looking for harnesses for my 71', The Last Detail Corvette had the best prices and they were the Lectric Limited brand. The most difficult harness to install is the dash harness, the rest are easy by comparison. They also sell on eBay.

http://www.tld-corvette.com/

When I was looking for harnesses for my 71', The Last Detail Corvette had the best prices and they were the Lectric Limited brand. The most difficult harness to install is the dash harness, the rest are easy by comparison. They also sell on eBay.

http://www.tld-corvette.com/

I just installed a Lectric Limited engine harness from The Last Detail. Perfect fit, great quality, good price and great customer service.:cool

Can't you go through electric limited cheaper???? Call and check pricing, tell them of the other prices, should be cheaper cutting out the middle man, but maybe they have a deal working not to cut prices???

I just installed a Lectric Limited engine harness from The Last Detail. Perfect fit, great quality, good price and great customer service.:cool

They don't seem to carry a 82 dash harness or ecm harness. Guess I will just have to have my harness re-furbished or something. I don't think anything is butchered so maybe I can get away with having new terminals and what not installed on the harness.

Maybe you should contact Lectric Limited and see if they have what you're looking for. If they do, get the part number and try to get it through TLD.

If you go to their web site, you will see that some 81 & 82 harnesses have to be refurbished. Call and ask them, they are great to talk to, will answer all your questions.

Wiring harnesses are probably not the best place to save a couple of bucks. What is a refurbished harness? What is the quality of the work? Will they be any better than the one you have now?

All of these questions need to be answered. I replaced a rear harness that I bought from Lectric Limited. It was great, it fit, and all the connectors were just like the originals. I got it installed in no time.

Could I have gotten a cheaper one? Probably but my time is also valuable and I prefer not to spend it trying to get something to fit when it is not manufactured properly. I would rather buy a harness that was made for my year car rather than making another years harness fit.

Lectric Limited is the best and as previously stated this is not an area where you want to go cheap. If you can get it cheaper from TLD great as long as it is a Lectric Limited harness.

As others have said. Don't thrift on your wiring. I used Lectric Limited to replace the complete system. Its exact to GM specs and the guys in the tech department are more than willing to help you out if you have questions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom