Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Eckler Daytona Body Kits

Corvette
78 Restro
Well I'm new here, but not sure about how things work. I have a 1978 Vette with an Eckler Daytona body Kit. The whole thing from the Whale tail to the monza headlights. The body needed some work. The car had been in storage for a few years when I got it. Over the last year I have smoothed the body seams as well as some other custom fectures. I'm now thinking of moving the headlight down to the grill area and build air intakes ported directly toward the radiator in the headlight area. I'll try an attach afew picture for comment of the project.
I also would like to locate other owner of Daytona Vettes. I hope to put together a web site for Daytona kit Corvette owner if there are enough that want it.

Gary

Well the picture thing didn't work. HELP!!

Sounds like you have a very interesting car there, I always liked the Daytona kit, turns the already tough looking Corvette into a real race car. I also like your headlight idea, it would be pretty ideal place to run cool air for the radiator. If you need someone to host pics for you I'd be happy to do it for you.

Jay, Thank you for the comments. Yes I could use some help with the pictures. My camera only goes down to 800/600 and i can't get the files small enough to post. If you can help send me an Email and I'll send you a few pictures to work with.

Ok, just send them to nxtmedia@yahoo.com and will will post them here.:beer

Ok, the pics are finally here, sorry for the short delay. I must say that you car is trully going to be awesome machine once finished!

gettingready03.jpg

bodywork01.jpg

bodywork05.jpg

gettingready01.jpg

dcp68.jpg

copdogcorvette,
I gota say I didn't know what to expect but when I saw the pics, damn it looks great. did you toss the part along the doors? Nowyou gota put an engine in there as powerful as the body looks.
please post a pic when it's finished

Thank Jay for hosting the pictures. I do have a 400SB under the hood. I've added since these pictures, Hooker side pipes and I'm modifing the side skirts so the the pipes show,but still are cover so as not to burn your legs when getting in and out. It has 295-50's tires on 10 in. Centerline drag wheels. With the 400 motor it's a bit squirrelly on wet pavement if you are not careful. I've been thinking, maybe changing the Auto trans. out for a 5 speed. Don't know yet, not sure how much work that would be.
I'll get with Jay once I've got the this project a little more complete or once the paint goes on. I can't wait for that day.

Wow!! :eek That is 1CRAZYVETTE!! It is kinda like a C3 for the future. :)

Kinda unrelated...

A while ago, I saw a gray Vette... 72 circa.... with a gee-whiz style hood scoop and lights set into the fenders like a Baldwin Motion IV Corvette. It looked like the initial mods went well and then subsequent owners let the paint go on it. I did like the way it looked though.

I would be partial to setting the headlights into the fenders. Free up some room for other stuff. I have see a few Vettes with turbos placed into the old headlight recesses. I have even seen tranny/oil coolers in the recesses.

Just food for thought.....

Just thought I add an up date picture of my little project. This is the side pipes and side covers I build. I'm still waiting for my turn in the paint shop. Hope it will be soon.

cool car needs a wild paint job something to stop traffic .........
keep posting pics we love that.............

My wife's '79 is a Greenwood kit and not a Daytona Kit but it too draws attention both at shows and on the track. Welcome to wild custom club!! LOL

Yellow8.jpg

Yellow6.jpg

Yellow5.jpg

:v

Craig,

VERY NICE 79. Who did the paint job? I really like it. I wonder what my Daytona would look dressed something like that, only red as the base.
I check the site and added it to my favorites list. Hope you liked what I'm doing with the Daytona.

Gary

Man, what a blast from the past. Thanks for sharing the photo's. I hadn't seen one of those in years. I like the way you worked the Hooker sidepipes into the rockers. You can still see them, but you have leg burn protection to boot. Great job.

Thumper,

Thank you for the very kind words. It has been a bit of work to get it to come together. I liked the old side skirts, but I just had to let the side pipe show. It took me about two weeks to build the covers. It's nice to hear from someone on how they look. Just need to get it painted now. Glad you like my little project.

Gary, thanks. The paint job and finishing body work (filling all seams and shaving the mirrors) was done by a friend of mine in Southaven, MS. The paint scheme took me 6 months to come up with because I wanted something that would flow with the car and not be too overwhelming to swallow the kit.

When you get the car finished let me know and I will put it on my website as an article!

By the way, anyone can send their picts to me through my site to have them added in the Readers Rides. You don't have to be custom.

:v

Well I thought I add these updates. I was printing out a couple of picture of the vette since I finisned all the body work. I'm keeping a scrapebook of the project. Anyway the printer screwed up and printed the car as if it had be painted already. My plans were to paint the vette Red, but I kinda like this. Please let me know what you think, RED or YELLOW

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom