Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Edelbrock Performer 2101 and qjet choke question

StingrayLust

Corvette
1971 Coupe (red, LGT-700, 460hp, 510tq)
So I took off my stock manifold to get it cleaned up and one of the thermostat housing bolts got stuck and broke off. I've tried drilling it out and I'm not getting anywhere close to getting it out. So that's left me with a problem, I need an intake for my 4MV qjet that's being rebuilt as I type this by SMI.

I've looked at quite a few pictures of the 2101:
EDL-3701-lg.jpg

and have yet to see one where it shows how the divorced choke hooks up. I've seen the 8901 [/URL]part:
350-8901.jpg

and the 9171 part:
350-9171.jpg

I've read a few places that the 2101 is a drop-in replacement for the stock intake and that "The QuadraJet carburetor bolts directly to the "Performer" utilizing all stock brackets, fittings and cables".
So I'm pretty convinced it's what I'm looking for, just trying to figure out if there's anything else I need to get things hooked up right so I can order them now.

The 2101 is the manifold you want for a pre-87, non-EGR application. You may want to replace your choke coil assembly when you change the intake manifold.

The Edelbrock Performer is a win-win for you. First, you'll see a modest gain in performance. Second, it weighs less.

I've already ordered a new choke coil and housing from Corvette Central for my '71 sb 350/270 stock intake which is non-EGR. Trying to decide if I need Edelbrock specific gasket or if my felpro ones I bought for my stock intake are sufficient.

carb gasket

Does someone know the correct carb gasket for the qjet/2101 combo? The gasket I pulled off my old intake doesn't look like it would be correct for the Edelbrock.

So I've been reading more specifically about gaskets. I know the correct one for the qjet and stock manifold is 1/4" if I'm not mistaken.
Now with the Edel 2101, there's that middle wall in the plenum between the left and right runners if that's the correct terminology. If I used a stock 1/4" gasket, wouldn't the gap between the left and right tunnels cause a problem as air from the left could be sucked over to the right? I read somewhere to use the thinnest gasket you can find which eliminates that center wall gap between the bottom of the carb and intake.

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. I hate myself as I'm almost to the point of finding another stock intake and just being content with it. I wish I would have taken my intake to a shop with the correct tools to correctly take out my broken bolt, would have saved me and this forum some grief.

I do appreciate all of input though!!! It's a learning curve for me.

The reason I ask these questions about the 2101 is that I find it hard to believe that any aftermarket products just "bolt up" like they say they will without modification. Take this image I found in someone elses thread where they were using a 2701 and the fuel line doesn't match up. I read further in that thread that while the 2101 won't match up 100%, it's only off about a 1/2" and the line can be pretty easily bent to reach it. The SS line I have from my pump to carb is pretty tough to bend but I think I could get a 1/2" of height from it. I just didn't want to end up with my qjet on the 2101 and end up with something that looks like this, thusly causing me more headaches:
2701problem.jpg

Is your stock intake beyond repair? there should be some good general farm equipment repair shops in your area that can remove the broken bolt, weld repair and/or install a heli-coil or a solid thread insert for less money and fit up problems than you will spend on a new intake and related items. Unless of course you are looking to upgrade your current parts, but it doesnt sound like that is what you started out to do.

If I used a stock 1/4" gasket, wouldn't the gap between the left and right tunnels cause a problem as air from the left could be sucked over to the right?

That's the idea. By creating a slight common plenum volume above the dual plane intake, you gain significant top-end (torque curve shifts upward) with insignificant low-end loss. The common "speed trick" back in the late 60's was to mill down the divider between the plenum wall on the secondary side by about 1/2" - just like the current Edelbrock manifolds - to pick up some top end on a stock manifold. Use the stock 1/4" open plenum gasket with the manifold and you'll be in good shape.

Take this image I found in someone elses thread where they were using a 2701 and the fuel line doesn't match up. I read further in that thread that while the 2101 won't match up 100%, it's only off about a 1/2" and the line can be pretty easily bent to reach it. The SS line I have from my pump to carb is pretty tough to bend but I think I could get a 1/2" of height from it. I just didn't want to end up with my qjet on the 2101 and end up with something that looks like this, thusly causing me more headaches

The difference in carb flange height between the stock intake and the 2101 is insignificant. Your fuel line will easily mate up with minimal "tweaking" effort.

Lars

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom