Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Elec. Q-jet help

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
I've got my '81 going down the road pretty good now. Rides nice and lots of leaks fixed. I was getting a non-computer controlled Q-jet rebuilt to put on it, (along with a vac. advance distributor) but it didn't get done as fast as I hoped, so I bolted on the original carb. It surprisingly runs good except for a couple of problems:
1. It bogs upon acceleration most of the time from a standing start.
2. After going for a drive (it's good and warmed up) it is idling way too high. If I put it in neutral it runs at 2200 RPM (high idle called for when cold).
I'm sure part of it is a choke problem, but I need some pointers with this elec. control stuff. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Dick

Those carbs are a pain in the butt!

You could have a variety of problems.

Vacuum leaks, worn out linkage, and poor return spring.

Have you reset the timing? You might want to see that it is correct and that the advance feature is working as well since that may be part if not your whole problem.

Yeah, I hear you Chris. That's why I'm a little unsure of what to try. Saturday I did figure out that the choke linkage was bound up. Getting that freed up seemed to make a lttle difference for the better.
As far as the timing goes, that's another issue. "Bubba" had replaced the timing cover and balancer, and the new cover is a chrome one, with no timing tab! I will have to get a look at another '81 to figure out what to get to rectify that problem. As it stands now, I just have it timed by "ear", so it starts good and doesn't detonate. Oh well, I'm still light years ahead of where I was with the car 2 months ago!

Dick

You can get a Mr. Gasket chrome timing tab. It simply will attach through two of the timing cover bolts. It may not be jet aircraft precision engineered, but it will get you in the ball park so that you can get a handle on your timing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom