Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electric Door Locks

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
Has anyone put electric door locks on a 77. One of the mail order places, Ecklers, I think, told me that they don't carry them. I have tried to have them put on at several alarm places as well, with no luck. I'm told that it is because the locking mechanism rotates in the arm rest rather than being a push pull mechanism on the top of the door.

Bob

Can Be Done

Bob,

I had electric locks installed in my 69 (which has the same rotating mechanism in the arm rest) when I had the alarm installed. Chris, 69MyWay, also installed them on his car if I'm not mistaken. He could probably give you more specifics on the subject since he would have done it himself. Good luck to ya.

installation

A place called Cinema Electronics installed the alarm and locks. The alarm was a Viper Alarm. I didn't ask about the locks. I just wanted them to work...they made them work.

71Shark has also done a couple of these installations. Maybe they will chime in and tell you what products they used. Here's the thread if you're interested.

Keyless Entry

You can type power locks into the search tool here on the site and all kinds of things will pop up. Hope this helps.

I actually ordered a power door look/keyless entry and alarm kit from J.C. Whitney. Don't remember the price, but it was a good deal.

The aftermarket design comes with the actuators and they are very powerful and quiet. There must be at least 100 ways to mount the actuator in the door. They come with all you need to do the job.

If you are handy with tools, I would suggest you do this yourself to save some time and make sure it is done right. Putting the keyless entry in conjunction with it is the way to go. Most alarms have keyless, so you can get a power door lock kit from whitney, then an alarm from anybody. Don't remember the name brand of the alarm I got from whitney, but it was good quality stuff, and works perfect.

You can get just a keyless kit from whitney for like $30 if you don't want the hassle of the alarm system.

I can't tell you much more, as you will have to see for yourself when you get involved. I am pleased with the conversion.

I also installed power windows from a 81 vette. However, I put the power door lock button in the same location on the new door panels as where your standard window crank would go. YOu can put the switch anywhere, or just hide them and go keyless all the time by only using the remote.

Thanks Chris. I'll check with JC Whitney and see what they have. At this point I'm more concerned with finding the hardware than the actual installation as even if I can't put it in, someone can. I definitely want the alarm as well.

Fortunately I already have the power windows.

Bob

You will find it rather straight forward. The aftermarket actuators come with this cool little aluminum block that has a pair of holes drilled through as a simple description. There are set screws on the block, and the kit comes with rods. You will attach the rod on each side to the actuator and alternate positions inside the door frame with the actuator that give it the best angle on the stock door lock rod. When you determine that you will cut down the rod to length, the attach it to the stock rod with the cool little block and set screws. The wiring is simple, and you wil just use sheet metal screws or small bolts to attach the actuator to the door frame.

Thanks again Chris. I just ordered the part, sku 71ZX0309R, from JC Whitney for $89.98. I'll put that on my shelf until I'm ready to purchase the new door panels later this summer. No sense in doing the project twice.

Bob

I put the JC Whiney door locks and keyless entry on my 78. That may be the most useful thing I've done to it! It was easy; took about 2 hours altogether.

I too put the JC Whitney power door locks on a 73 when I installed an alarm. Installation was a piece of cake. Keyless entry is a good thing.

Chris,

I'm putting in the electric door locks and went back to this post to take a look at your diagram. Unfortunately it wasn't there. Can you either try to post it again or send it to me at RJChadwick@ATTBI.Com.? If you have a picture showing where you placed the actuator I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks.

Bob

bobchad said:
Chris,

I'm putting in the electric door locks and went back to this post to take a look at your diagram. Unfortunately it wasn't there. Can you either try to post it again or send it to me at RJChadwick@ATTBI.Com.? If you have a picture showing where you placed the actuator I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob, I am sure I could draw and fax you one that would work better.

Call me on Monday (if you are working ) 904-278-3424. I can get a diagram put together and fax it to you.

Got the power door locks in earlier this year and am getting ready to put the new door panels in. In the process I'm experimenting on the old panels for best placement of the lock switches. So for this appears to be the best place for it size wise but I don't really care for the look.

Where have those of you that installed aftermarket locks placed your switches? Pics if you can.

Bob

I converted to power windows, and put the lock buttons in the same spot the old crank handle would be for manual windows.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom