Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electric fan installlation on 72

L88 crazy

Corvette
1972 Blue T top
How do I select on of those new electric thermostat controlled cooling fans? I have a small block Chevy running a stock clutch fan, shroud and radiator. Another thing is HOW DO YOU WIRE THESE THINGS UP TO WORK RIGHT???

I really liked Flex-A-Lite's Variable Speed Controller (VSC):

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fan-accessories.html

I ran it for a year with 210's (dual fan) and I think it's the state of the art fan controller. Easy install and hook-up--well worth the money.

I finally went back to the original fan/clutch/shroud due to the fact that the electric fans, while they cool the radiator nicely, allow underhood temperatures to rise to unacceptable levels--you couldn't even think to touch a thing under the hood until the car cooled down for awhile. Electric fans just don't put out enough air to cool the engine bay too.

If your cooling system is in good shape and the radiator is doing its job, you shouldn't need an electric fan; if you're having an overheating problem, find the root cause and correct it (usually the radiator); adding an electric fan to counter an overheating problem is a "band-aid" that generally won't help.

:beer

My big block heats up sitting at long red lights or in traffic.Once back to 50 mph or faster and temps come back down.I installed a puller 14" high volume electric fan between the stock clutch fan and rad ( just barely fits) .Works great now and can hardly see the electric fan hidden by the shroud to keep the stock look.

That's what I did when I got rid of the dual electric fans--I put an aux fan from an '81 Corvette in also. It looks stock too. I have it come on when the a/c comp is on or manual override.

L88 crazy said:
How do I select on of those new electric thermostat controlled cooling fans? I have a small block Chevy running a stock clutch fan, shroud and radiator. Another thing is HOW DO YOU WIRE THESE THINGS UP TO WORK RIGHT???
Go to Tom Dewitts site. Aluminum rad & dual spal's. :upthumbs Easy install, complete bolt in. Simple wiring even for a moron like me. ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom