Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electric Fuel Pump Mount

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
Since I changed out the failed stock water pump on my '66 327/300, my engine runs really cool about 160 - 170 under normal operating conditions with the 160 degree thermostat, but on the rare occasion I get up to 184 deg., I lose fuel flow to the carburetor, and it stalls. Every time. The carb is bone dry. So I have an engine that runs cool and hot fuel. I was better off with the hot engine and fuel system that worked. Regardless, I want to install a Carter 4600HP but for the life of me as I look at the underside of the rear of my car I can't figure out where to install it. Has anyone done this? I do not want to drill holes in the frame. I have removed my spare tire. Thanks!

V/R
Dan

I'd try a new stock-type fuel pump (or just insulate the existing pump-to-carb line) before I'd go to all the hassle of adding an electric fuel pump; they're a PITA with plumbing, wiring, noise, etc.

:beer

Thanks JohnZ

You are right, because I have spent alot of time crawling around trying to figure out where to mount the pump, make a bracket, how to configure the inlet and outlets hoses to work with the tanks and rail lines, and can't figure it out. But I would also like to be able to prime the carburetor before starting it. I have an Edelbrock Performer carburetor, and I am looking at the Edelbrock Victor Performer mechanical fuel pump that supplies a compatible 6 psi. When I changed out the water pump, I did not change anything else. I definitely cannot drive the car this way. I think I am going to end where you have advised. Thanks.

V/R
Dan

I'm using a small 6psi pump from Advanced Auto mounted with a filter from NAPA on a small metal bracket holding an old rear (trans) motor mount to insulate the frame from the pump noise. The bracket is bolted to the existing frame hole for the bumper support rod.
fuelpumpfiltersm.jpg

MagicV8,
Thanks. Very Clever. You made me re-look at how I might mount the Carter. The bumper mount is shimmed and attached by two bolts on the vertical part of the bumper section where you are. I am going to take a 2 in. by 2 in. angle iron and bolt one leg where the shims are using these two bolts, and slide it low enough for enough clearance to attach a 2 in. by 3 in. angle piece with the 2 in. section of the first piece bolted to the 2 in. of the second piece (why I need the clearance) resulting in the 3 in. leg of the second piece in the vertical position facing forward for mounting the Carter mounting bracket. I am going to cut the first piece so that I can bolt the horizontal section to the bumper strut bolt in the same vicinity for lateral support. Thanks alot!

Dan

My solution using the GMPP ZZ502 motor which does not come with a mechanical fuel pump boss was to install the pump on the frame up inside the lower rear fender. This seemed safer to me then under the rear of the vette in case of a rear ender.

I think Pick # 3 shows a roll of TP stuck up in the area during mock up for fitment. Also I had a 3/16" steel gaurd fabed up by Mr Bill Bradley who came up with the idea of protecting the pump incase of a collision.

The pump sit's nicely in that area behind the rear wheel factoy splash gaurd.

But as Mr John Z says... Your better off with a good Mechanical Pump.
If you do get involved with an electric..be prepaired to add an Oil Pressure pump cut off switch for saftey in case of a collision as I did ,wiring a Fuse and other Misc gack. Holley Makes the Oil Pressure Electric Fuel Pump Switch..that will turn the pump off if the pressure drops below 15 PSI.

If you do get into an accident and break a fuel line you don't want the pump running shooting fuel all over the palce on a hot motor. Think Saftey.

Good luck with your project.

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump3.jpg

pump4.jpg

pump5.jpg

pump6.jpg

pump1.jpg

If you do not want to drill and use bolts you can use wide velcro. Clean the mounting areas real well so it sticks to that surface. I use a commercial grade and it will hold just about anything if you get the surface you are sticking it to clean.

Tyler

I would say stick with a replacement mecanical fule pump, it is probably not heat related just bad timing of one problem being corrected and a new one showing it self.

Best of luck

and a quick tip while replacing the fuel pump if the rod keeps dropping down just remove the cover and put a tab of grease on the pump rod and the grease will hold the rod in place long enough to install the pump

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom