Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electric fuel pump or stock type any thoughts

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
my fuel pump want out this weekend am thinking about putting a electric one in wheres the best place to mount it back by tank or by motor , thanks for your help.. its a 350 with edelbrock 750 alum manifold,headers ,

Hi friend: -a conventional "silent" mechanical/fuel-pump is definitely the safest for normal motoring (stops pumping when motor quits, such as during an accident); ---yet it also makes good sense to include an electric/fuel-pump preferably situated near the gas-tank as they typically push better than pull (you can get a rotary-pump such as the Carter "whirrrrrrrr", or you can use the linear-pump unit such as an AutoPulse solenoid type "click-click-click-click"). Thus with the electric-pump connected through a load-relay to a momentary-switch(or button) on your dash, --you can thereby readily 'prime' the carburetor for a few seconds, before cranking the engine (which is especially handy if your car is only driven occassionally). Note that the mechanical/fuel-pump will pull fuel right through in-line with the electric/fuel-pump...
Hope this helps... ~Robair vH sandiego

BTW: -you're welcomed 'chevy6673'

Why bother with all the hassle of an electric fuel pump (plumbing, wiring, relays, switches, safety shutoff, noise, etc.)? A replacement stock pump is about $30.00 and takes an hour to replace.

:beer

Why bother with all the hassle of an electric fuel pump (plumbing, wiring, relays, switches, safety shutoff, noise, etc.)? A replacement stock pump is about $30.00 and takes an hour to replace.

:beer
sounds like what i will do your dead on with price 28wtax but a hour,, i hope so not to much room down there not like my 66 :L

sounds like what i will do your dead on with price 28wtax but a hour,, i hope so not to much room down there not like my 66 :L
I don't know he probly gave you a little exrta time,but I'd almost be willing to bet that JohnZ can change one in about 30 minutes!!40 tops!!:L :thumb:thumb

One last note. Your using an Edlebrock carb. Without a fuel regulator, the electric pump will blow the needles off the seats in the carb.

Your Edelbrock carb should have no more than about 7.5 PSI of fuel If I remember correctly.

Check into a carter Hi FLow pump. It has high flow and low pressure. Works great with the carb. BEWARE of the autozone stock replacement it could have as little as 5 or as much as 12.
The stock AC DELCO pump runs at about 9 and thats on the edge for this carb. The result being an untuneable burble at idle.

Check EDELBROCK.com for details .Especially if you have noted a rich condition in the past. Look in the troubleshooting section for your carb.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom