Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical Issue - 1978

PastorLG

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and a new vette owner as well. I just bought a 1978. I'm trying to find out why my lighting doesn't work around all my center guages. I pulled out a bulb that was easiest to get to and it seems to look ok. I will try to test it later to make sure. Any ideas. Thanks in advance
Also, is it difficult to remove the entire panel to get a better look. I'm working from underneath.
LG

Most likely a printed circuit boad issue or a grounding problem. Removing the center console is not too difficult to do. Just take your time and disco the battery before you start. Check for power at the connector and your fuse also.
Once its out of the car, you can check for damage and replace all the lights. I had enought play in the plug connector on mine, to reconnect and add power to verify all the lights, without totally having to put the console back in its normal position, for checkout.
My lights are just not that bright anyway and if it wasn't for the fact I am going to replace the gauges and ditch the PS board, I would look to install LED bulbs rather than the old type.

thanks

Yeah, I finally had to give the console quite a pull to get the thing out of there! I cleaned the contacts and plugged it back up and the lights did work. I had a bulb socket that was missing...I found one at Auto Zone believe it or not. Also the socket on the very top of the console had fallen out. With a little adjustment it went in find as well.
I'm wondering if tearing into my clock would do any good at all. I know that this is the time while the console is out...I'm just not sure if they always need rebuilt or replaced.
Also, do they have a led bulb that would replace the ones that are in the sockets?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom