Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical problem

jseremba

Corvette
1989 Blue Z51 6 spd Manual Transmission
Hello Everybody

I own a 1984 4 plus 3 Corvette. This morning I was driving and noticed that the voltage was 11.1 volts. When I got to my destination and shut the car the cooling fan kept running. I finally pulled the relay and the fan shut. After the car cooled I plugged in the relay and the fan did not turn on. I have a litany of electric problems I am wondering if they are related.

The cooling fan
The interior lights stopped working about three weeks ago
The wipers stopped working, I have power going to the switch. I think it is terminal B.
The door locks do not work. The orange wire has no power.

Any ideas.

Thank you,
Joe

Hello Everybody

I own a 1984 4 plus 3 Corvette. This morning I was driving and noticed that the voltage was 11.1 volts. When I got to my destination and shut the car the cooling fan kept running. I finally pulled the relay and the fan shut. After the car cooled I plugged in the relay and the fan did not turn on. I have a litany of electric problems I am wondering if they are related.

The cooling fan
The interior lights stopped working about three weeks ago
The wipers stopped working, I have power going to the switch. I think it is terminal B.
The door locks do not work. The orange wire has no power.

Any ideas.

Thank you,
Joe

The power door locks and courtesy lamp timer for the interior lights needs power from the CLK LTR CTSY 15 amp fuse located in the passenger side end of dash fuse panel. Verify the fuse is good.

If the CLK LTR CTSY fuse is not blown verify the fusible links at the starter solenoid are not blown/melted.
Those fusible links are hot all the time so don't short anything out.

As for the cooling fan staying on, the relay is energized by a temperature switch in the passenger side head between spark plug 6 and 8 and also by a switch on the back of the AC compressor. I don't see how this problem is related to any of your other problems.

thank you

The power door locks and courtesy lamp timer for the interior lights needs power from the CLK LTR CTSY 15 amp fuse located in the passenger side end of dash fuse panel. Verify the fuse is good.

If the CLK LTR CTSY fuse is not blown verify the fusible links at the starter solenoid are not blown/melted.
Those fusible links are hot all the time so don't short anything out.

As for the cooling fan staying on, the relay is energized by a temperature switch in the passenger side head between spark plug 6 and 8 and also by a switch on the back of the AC compressor. I don't see how this problem is related to any of your other problems.

First you were correct the interior lights was a fuse. But, the previous owner used a 30 A rather then a 15 A. I put a ten in. It did not last long. Hopefully a 15 A will last.I looked up the wiper motor in the shop manual so I am going to break out the volt/ohm meter and see what I can do over the long weekend.
But the cooling fan troubles me. I know the circuit and that the switch is in the head. But, why does it run after I shut the car. Can the ignition switch or cylinder be so worn that the car is not shutting off. How do i determine this.

Thank you

But the cooling fan troubles me. I know the circuit and that the switch is in the head. But, why does it run after I shut the car. Can the ignition switch or cylinder be so worn that the car is not shutting off. How do i determine this.

Thank you

More likely to be a stuck relay. Pull the relay and check for continuity across the contacts. If that's open check for 12v on the dark blue wire to the coil.

First you were correct the interior lights was a fuse. But, the previous owner used a 30 A rather then a 15 A. I put a ten in. It did not last long. Hopefully a 15 A will last.I looked up the wiper motor in the shop manual so I am going to break out the volt/ohm meter and see what I can do over the long weekend.

Thank you

Does the wiper motor work in Hi or Low speed at all?

As for the fan running with the ignition off most likely the output contacts of the fan relay stuck closed.

You can pry the relay cover off and look at the contacts for pitting.

Also look at the fan relay socket wires. Make sure the insulation hasn't shrunk back allowing the wires
to short out.

If you look at the schematic in order for the relay to close and energize the fan, the Dark Blue wire
provides the primary relay coil with 12 volts and the 12 volts is not there unless the ignition is On.
In addition either the compressor pressure switch or the fan switch must be closed.

When the problem happens you could use a volt meter and measure the Dark Blue wire. Should be
zero volts with the ignition off. If there is 12 volts the ignition switch could be misadjusted or the
ignition switch is bad. (not likely because the engine would still be running even though you turned the key off).

Last edited by a moderator:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom