Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Electrical problems! Why?! Why electrical problems ?!!!

yello80vette

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige Corvette
OK, so the driver side power window on my frost beige 1980 has been acting up and slowing down over the past couple years but, hey the thing is 40 years old. Then suddenly, bang, it stopped working altogether. I think it's time to invest in a new motor.
The new power window motor arrives. Before installing it, lets plug it in to make sure it works. Nope. Nothing. I was afraid of this. I traced the wiring all the way back and it's in great shape. I plugged it in to the switch to the other window. Nope, The switch is good. Even checked all the fuses even though the passenger side window works fine. Fuses were fine. I'd rather deal with anything other than electrical problems because I always run into a dead end and truthfully I'm rather ignorant about electrical problems. Is there anyone . . . anywhere . . . that has any idea of what else I can check or what might be causing no power to the window motor ?! help... HELP !!!

Last edited:
you need to ground the motor.

Diagnosis is in order first. Find out what you are missing at the motor, battery positive or battery negative. I believe your master switch grounds one side of the circuit in the neutral position, check a wiring diagram to be sure.

Diagnosis is in order first. Find out what you are missing at the motor, battery positive or battery negative. I believe your master switch grounds one side of the circuit in the neutral position, check a wiring diagram to be sure.
The motor needs to be grounded as suggested above.
The motor has two windings one for up and one for down. The switch supplies +12v to either winding depending on the desired direction of travel.

On a side note it is possible that the slow movement is caused by the switch itself.

The motor needs to be grounded as suggested above.
The motor has two windings one for up and one for down. The switch supplies +12v to either winding depending on the desired direction of travel.

On a side note it is possible that the slow movement is caused by the switch itself.

Ok, I wasn't what sure what year GM switched to grounding the field circuit of the motor windings through the switches.

Good info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom