Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electrical problems

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
Recently the battery has been too weak to start the car. It hasn't been completely dead as the lights and movable seat still work, but it won't start occasionally, requiring a jump. I replaced the battery (when the old battery was only a year old) and the problem still persists. Everytime I get in the car the voltage is considerably higher as it is attempting to charge the battery. This leads me to believe that something is drawing on the battery while the car is off. Its a 2001 w/ 75k miles. Anyone have any similar experiences? Unfortunately, with me being in the field, training, every week from Mon - Fri I have very little time to diagnosis it myself, much less fix it so I think I'll have to hand over to a dealer. Which brings me to my next question, any recommendations for the Fort Benning/Columbus GA area? The closest is Bill Heard Cadillac Chevrolet.

So I took it to the dealer and they found no problem, then went out with my friends for the night. I came out of the the teater and the car wouldn't start. The farmiliar sound of something electric engaging but not moving (kinda like the sound you get when pressing up on an already closed window). I was just about to get a jump when I tried again and the car started. Voltage read 14.3 volts afterwards so I assume that means the car is trying to charge a drained battery. The battery is brand new as of last week? I'm guessing the dealer missed something but what?

Ryan,
Are you getting any Codes that might help with a diagnosis here? Also, take a look at THIS THREAD, and see if the symptoms sound similar.

Keep us informed what you find out.

-Patrick

Check the above post first and see if it is the same type of problem. 14.3v after starting shows that that the battery was most likely fully charged. If you got a solid "click" when trying to start (trying to move a closed window), then you could be dealing with a bad starter.

Bad Starter

I concur with LLC5. I had a car do exactly that a few years ago. I believe there was a bad spot in the armature or the brush springs were weak, or brushes worn out, inside the starter. Sometimes it would start, sometimes just a click was all I would get. Replaced the starter w/ rebuilt one and it ran another 100K w/out prob's.
good luck

I saw that post but I don't remember the secruity light ever being on, I'll pull the codes and get back to you all. As for the click I do get one solid click that lasts for a second or two and then nothing.

well I checked the codes. All history codes but I'll post them anyway. B2282, B2283, B2284, B2285, B2605, B2820.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom