Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ELEGANT ENGINEERING

WB9MCW

Corvette
1992 ZR-1 #443
THE 500 HP LT-5 THAT NEVER WAS---

“LT5 that never was”, the 95 prototype variable cam LT5. This engine featured new prototype cylinder heads and intake, and a special two part lifter with a hydraulically actuated pin that allowed switching between two separate cam profiles. This engine had the injector housings integrated into the cylinder head, and the injecto rs bosses cast into the side using a single dual spray pattern injector. The Northstar Cadillac ECM computer would have been used and the secondary throttle ports eliminated. The intake manifold featured a high rise, straight shot design that would have increased both flow and mixture tumble. The engine was schedule to produce at least 475 HP but in conversations with Graham based on the improved cylinder flow and cam timing potential over 500 was within reach. This engine would have been putting down C 6 LS7 levels of power over 11 years before the modern Z06 but as we know the plug was pulled on the LT5 program before further development could continue.

MORE ELEGANCE -- SUPERCHARGED STOCK LT-5 GOOD FOR 600+ HP

COULD THIS BE THE ONE TO CHALLENGE THE NEW ZR1 ???

IMG_1263.jpg

Rotex supercharged 95 ZR - 1 of Randy Woods. Randy has kept this project low profile and the compact Rotex blower provides a clean installation and plenty of boost for the stock LT5. This blower should provide enough flow for well over 600 at the wheels with a very controllable and linear power curve. Full details are not known yet as the car was just completed and not yet tuned. Congrats to Randy on this amazing achievement. :thumb

I think this is great, I have longed for the day when we would have a blown ZR-1 roaming the streets. This truely is an amazing accomplishment by Randy and his crew, this is very very special to the ZR-1 comunity. The problem I see with it, which is the same problem I see with all FI on the ZR-1 is simply the cost/benifit of it. The problem is not the technology, it's the compression ratio of the LT5. 11.x:1 is just to high to pump lots of boost into without detonation. So you have to crack open the block and replace parts which gets expensive quickly.

All that being said this is still a very, very cool thing to see and I can't wait to see her run

WOW, i know what i want to ask santa for xmas , i can only dream 10 lbs of boost ,oh man what fun that would be. randy awsome work are you planning on selling this to your crazy buds (ME)PLEASE PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, i know what i want to ask santa for xmas , i can only dream 10 lbs of boost ,oh man what fun that would be. randy awsome work are you planning on selling this to your crazy buds (ME)PLEASE PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to ask ZR-1 Destroyer over on the ZR-1 Net Forum since I do not think Randy posts over here very often!

Randy is not ZR1Destroyer, that's Ry Beckloff in Colorado.
You want Randy Woods. Contact him at his website at
http://www.zr1products.com/index.html

Thanks for the correction Mr. Hammer had Randy and Ry mixed up.

What is Randy's User name on ZR-1 Net/Reg.?

So Ry is the owner of the first SC ZR-1 project and Randy is the provider of the SC solution?

if the tune is done properly you don't need "lots" of boost to get to 600 rwhp which is more than all but the baddest stroker zr1s make and more than you can handle on street tires. key is backing down the timing and getting enough fuel to keep detonation to a minimum. the lt5 head gaskets are the weak link, pistons, crank and rods are very strong.

5-6 psi is all that is needed. try on 600 rwhp and tell me again its not enough!

why would you not be interested before you even know what the cost is? the rotex is a proven very efficient blower that is run on many of the high HP cars in europe. while it's not a "modo" flow unit, it's enough for 600 rwhp which will provide enough zots to be plenty thrilling on a stock bottom end without blowing it up. very nice work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom