Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: eletrical problem

chevyman1759

Corvette
1972 elkhart green coupe
Hi! I have a question about an electrical part.Hopefully someone can help me.I have a 1972 coupe and had to remove the steering column to do a repair.After un-hooking all the wires I noticed a wire was hanging lose.I traced it done to a capacitor mounted on the ignition switch.I can not fix it because the wire is broken off inside which I can't get to.Can anyone out there tell me if this part is important?The part # is 801249 with the letters DR in the middle and .5 MF at the bottom.Will any one-wire capacitor with .5 MF work or do I need the original part?Thanks for any help you can give me! Ron,

Do you have the '72 assembly instruction manual (AIM) or the chassis and service manual? Either will show the capacitor installation. If your car has a radio/stereo, I'm willing to bet the capacitor is for interfence purposes.

:)

That's a radio noise suppression capacitor - you'll find it in the Radio section of your Assembly Manual; it reduces pops and static in the radio (mostly on AM) from the ignition system. If it's not connected, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

:beer

Two important aspects with capicator replacement are the capacitance value and the voltage rating:
Matching the .5 mf (Microfarad ) is essential and the voltage, which is the rating of the capicator dielectric (Insulation to ground). If unable to see marking on the old part, a value 35 - 50 volts should work. You should be able to take old part to auto parts shop and get a new one, electrical noise bi-pass caps are a pretty std part.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom