Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emission Laws

Corvette
'04 Coupe/ Spiral Gray
Hi.... I don't know if this is the right fourm but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know that since the emission laws are more cortrolled in California than Jersey, a person who lived in CA would have trouble with inspection if they had purchased a 2004 from a private owner in Jersey since the cars are equiped differently.

Thanks in advance :confused

Wes,

I can offer this information from personal experience.. When I bought my 1981 back in 1996 from Michigan I checked all the requirements to bring her into California.

DMV told me that it has to have the original smog equipment as delivered to the dealer in the state purchased, or it needed to have equipment required for that year as per the Federal Regulations, and be able to pass the smog emmissions for such eqiuped car.

In this day and age of smog I would think almost any new car sold since the mid 90's would pass any state emmissions test, that is if the car has not been modified ;)

A quick check to the CA dmv site or a phone call would probably give you a more diffenitive answer ;)

Rare81 said:
Wes,

I can offer this information from personal experience.. When I bought my 1981 back in 1996 from Michigan I checked all the requirements to bring her into California.

DMV told me that it has to have the original smog equipment as delivered to the dealer in the state purchased, or it needed to have equipment required for that year as per the Federal Regulations, and be able to pass the smog emmissions for such eqiuped car.

In this day and age of smog I would think almost any new car sold since the mid 90's would pass any state emmissions test, that is if the car has not been modified ;)

A quick check to the CA dmv site or a phone call would probably give you a more diffenitive answer ;)
[/QUOTE}

Bud....Thanks for the imformation. I'm glad I joined CAC, seems like any question one has, there is always some who has the answer or at least can offer some good advice. Thanks again....:w Wes

Almost anything built since 1998 has a "50-state" emission certification (including Corvettes); they're all the same - no difference between 49-state and California cars.

:beer

If the car is stock and was sold in NJ I would believe you will not have any problem passing any emission regulation or testing.

here in NJ the smog laws require all new vehicles sold here for years to actually have California emissions equipment.

If the cars stock you should be good to go.

JB

Another Question

First, thanks for all the replys, now I am the guy with the 04 and I am looking at a 1972 T-roof. I always loved the looks of the Sharks. This car is an automatic with an L48 motor odometer reading is 101,000 miles, AC,PW,PS,PB. It's in California and I'm in NJ so I cant get out there. I'm kinda new to this so any advise on what I should ask him would be appreciated. My car is leased and I looked at GMAC's web site and it is possible the transfer the lease and I will be free of it. He says the 72 runs strong. he is asking 16,900.00 OBO. I'm :confused on what to do. Thanks again........

Wes

1972 vettes didnt come with L48's .

I'd pass. Definitely not worth 16,900 and not worth the trip to california.

keep the 2004!

JMO

Thanks for the fast response JMO. I think your right

Wes :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom