Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

End of the Corvette as we know it?

From all that I've read, the energy bill will require auto makers to produce cars that get 35 mpg, BUT it doesn't require ALL of their cars to get that mileage. The law will be that a certain percentage of any particular manufacturers current lineup to get that mileage. In other words, Chevy can produce the Impala, the Cobalt, Malibu, HHR, and Silverado under the new restrictions, but still produce an 18 mpg Corvette, because they've met the percentage. Does that make sense? I don't see the Corvette going anywhere. Ever. Less hp in the future? Most likely. That's what happened to the muscle cars in the past. It's all bs and politics.

From all that I've read, the energy bill will require auto makers to produce cars that get 35 mpg, BUT it doesn't require ALL of their cars to get that mileage. The law will be that a certain percentage of any particular manufacturers current lineup to get that mileage. In other words, Chevy can produce the Impala, the Cobalt, Malibu, HHR, and Silverado under the new restrictions, but still produce an 18 mpg Corvette, because they've met the percentage. Does that make sense? I don't see the Corvette going anywhere. Ever. Less hp in the future? Most likely. That's what happened to the muscle cars in the past. It's all bs and politics.

You are correct it's based on averages.Keep in mind the LS1 engine with 6sp can run at 34 mpg highway now.So a little tweek here and there --:)

LSX motors are already pretty much there...remember when automakers were fudging the horsepower numbers, measuring it at different places so they could report lower numbers? I would expect some of the same, tweaking with cags, shift points, the factory stock tune to produce optimum economy instead of performance. Won't take much of that and GM will get whatever numbers it want's from the stock vehicle, then a little tuning work from someone who knows what they're doing and you'll have the performance it's capable of. This is nothing new and has been being done, I know especially with sport bikes, for years.

Happy Holidays!

The whole 2nd gear "override" on the C-5's was all about mileage right.

Guess that means the last Ferrari to come into the country too?

A 7 speed gearbox ... no more automatics?

What kill me on this whole issue is that of the three cars in the driveway, a base 95 Saab 900 and a 98 Volvo XC .... the muscle car Vette is the MPG champ getting a full 7 MPG more than any of the other cars ... @ 31+ highway

But you know this will mean the end of the new Camaro, Dodge Challenger, the Mustang as well as the Corvette and whatever other vehicles it will apply to by then. And the American auto industry can't take that kind of loss. They are in enough trouble now and I feel sure they will be in 2020. So, common sense tells me that the government won't allow this to happen when the deadline comes for fear of losing even more customers for American cars.
It's another scare tactic just like they've used before.;shrug

2203766_478_full.jpg

If Chevy can get their normal consumer cars up on the MPG I would be glad. But please do not let this be like the 70s with OPEC and 178 HP Vettes.

But you know this will mean the end of the new Camaro, Dodge Challenger, the Mustang as well as the Corvette and whatever other vehicles it will apply to by then. And the American auto industry can't take that kind of loss. They are in enough trouble now and I feel sure they will be in 2020. So, common sense tells me that the government won't allow this to happen when the deadline comes for fear of losing even more customers for American cars.
It's another scare tactic just like they've used before.;shrug

dooscoop - well said. And I still love that classic beauty you drive.
Remo:cool

2000870517379426290_rs.jpg

Get ready to stand in line for the rebirth of Vega, Pinto, or Valiant. Come to think of it, isn't Chrysler importing that little egg shaped thing for city use now? What do they call it.. the Swatch? No wait a minute...Swatch... that the sound of a fart in the bath tube!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom