Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Analizer 3.0

32 visits and no replies?

does no one else want to modify their late c3 engine on this type of program to see where to get the most bang for their buck?

Sorry but I've never heard of that program so I can't give you any advice. What kind of mods are you wanting to do?
Mike

I know the big things that are "wrong" with the late c3's are exhaust, cam, and heads/compression so I think those are the areas I want to stick with. My exhaust is totaly shot so I am going to be finding an earlier crossmember (from a year that they used dual exhaust) and having a custom true dual system run including 2 cats (don't you love emissons?) Then I would like to put on efi but I doubt that is going to happen any time soon so I will probably stick with the computer controlled carb (yuck!!) and throw on a better intake. After that I will move onto heads and cam. I've done up some test engines on engine analizer and have seen some very nice gains, but I know I didn't get very close on the base engine because I don't have any of the hardcore specs. I suppose if somone could give me the specs for all the nessicary components for my engine I could do up the l81 engine.

Actually, from all I've read, the Rochester carb on the L81 is a very good carb, they just need tuned. I think there was discussion on this topic a while back, about carb to use etc, and I believe the majority said the Rochester was fine after tuning. You might search for the thread and see what comes up. It saves trying to modify the computer controls and the hassle of removing them. Also, the specs. page here at the CAC has most of the info you are looking for, I think, on your engine. :) And if you really want to go big, just take out the L81, store it nicely, and drop in a ZZ4 or something :D.

T Jay

well first off a zz4 or some other crate engine would be great but being a college student that only works part time that is a little out of my budget. Also the specs page doesn't give me cam grind, head flow, intake runner, exhaust cfm, etc. I don't even know what the cfm is on that carb. With as little power as it seems to have I'm thinking 300cfm :p hahah j/k. It does ok but as a true diehard gear head will tell you, "there is no such thing as too much power". That is the premise behind how I want to modify this car. I want what in most people's eyes is too much power. I want to be able to pull up next to a c5 or even a z06 and have him think he has me licked by a mile and watch the look on his face when all he can see is my six tail lights (I know there's only 4 but I really like that song ok?) Any ideas?

Um...headers (ceramic coated), true duals, no cats, edelbrock carb w/matching intake, replace stock radiator with an aluminum one to save weight, replace stock fan with dual electric fan for less weight and better cooling, redo suspension to put power to ground more efficiently, vortec heads, and either supercharge it, or turbo it. :D :D :D how's that? hehe. j/k...seriously, I understand your budget, being a college student myself. I really can't help ya there, cause I couldn't afford to do anything to my Vette. That's why I'm trading it for a Typhoon, I hope...going to look at it Saturday. Been dreamin about this since '91 when they introduced the Syclone. I wish I could help ya more, :) but I'm sure someone will step up.

T Jay

Beat a C5,,,, ZO6,,,,,,,,,,,,, Man you better win the lotto and spend most ot that on that C3!!! I have a friend who spent a ton of money on a 78, 350 Automatic. He bought 202 ported heads, a hot Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, performer intake, 750 double pumper, headers, true duel chambered exhaust, DUI (HEI) ignition, all in an effort to beat my 85 basically stock (chip, cat back,air foil and K&N filter) Vette. Did he?????? Nope but it was close.
He would have had to install a new taller rear gears and a bigger stall speed converter. By the time he would even come close to the my C4 he would have had at least invested: WELL LETS SEE,, Engine rebuild= $4000, trans converter $300 + install $?$100, rear gears and setup $500 !!! $5000 on what he already have invested in the car. To beat the C5 he needs turbo or blower help. All the C5 er would have to do is push the 150 NOS button and BYE BYE. The ZO6 "froget a bout it"
Start spending some serious bucks!

This ought to stir up some serious discussions! :) :)

Bill C

Power is good so don't get me wrong. I LIKE power. But not in my stock 78. I drive the car because of the way it looks and because it is a VETTE. :)
Unless you drive the "Batmobile" with a jet engine, there will always be someone out there who will be faster. Its a fact of life. Set it up to your personal likings and be happy with it. Being a student certainly doesn't help for the ole cash flow. :(
But from what I have seen, TPI and a 700R4 is a very nice combination to get you more performance.
That is just my $0.02.

Scott

Stryker_78 said:

...But from what I have seen, TPI and a 700R4 is a very nice combination to get you more performance.

Tha's all fine and dandy but the reason I bought this particular shark is because it's a 4 speed. I am not any time soon going to be putting a *yuck* automatic in it. Yes TPI is in the future of this car, I haven't decided if I want to pull something off a later gm car or go with an aftermarket setup.

can anyone spare a couple of bucks for a lotto ticket? hahaha

NSTG8R

LMAO
If I were you I would see if I could shoe in a LS-1 with a 6 speed in to that thing. The heck with the TPI. Then I would be worried !! Save a few more dollors and go hog wild. I know how the lack of cash flow feels. Hope to see you on the road one day. :)

Bill C

i have the older program engine analyzer 2.5,ive always liked this program,very helpful.

Hmmmm . . . all of this talk about being in college and being on a limited budget reminds me of my college days . . . long ago . . .

You guys are fortunate to be able to afford the vette, let alone make modifications . . . back when I was in school, I survived four years on not much more than pancakes . . . yep, pancakes . . . they didn't have Ramen Noodles back then (at least as far as I knew). But a box of pancake mix would last me all week!!

In John Lingenfelter's book on small blocks, there was no significant difference in HP and TQ between a carb a MPFI. Mid range fuel metering is better with the fuel injection, but if the main desire is for more power, I would spend my money on the exhaust system first. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Ok,

Does no one even know where I can find the specs on the l81 so that I can punch it in myself? I just want to play around with it in engine analizer and see what kind of numbers I can get.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom