Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Cleaning

E

exbanker

Is there a trick to cleaning the engine without damaging the opti-spark. I live in the desert where it can get pretty dusty. I know I can't hose it down and I really try to keep the car looking it's best. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well I use a air hose in my shop. Works great. A small air compresser doesn't cost much. When I show I spend a lot of hours wiping, after I blow the engine off.:blow

Thanks, looks like it's beer and towel time.

I sprayed the whole engine compartment down with Simple Green, then brushed what areas I could. Then rinsed it down with light spray from house. Then I followed it up with ZAINO Plastic Cleaner. LOOKS GREAT!

and no problems with starting or running after cleaning.

Im also curious,What does the dealers use when selling used cars,they have a real nice shine to them.

I know brake cleaner works well when cleaning aluminum, no staining at all.
I would think you could safely wipe down the whole motor, I wouldn't let it soak in, just spray and wipe.

Rick

I have seen this discussion a number of times on this page, but I have never had any trouble washing a vette engine. I have detailed cars for a long time and cleaned my fair share of vettes. I have more trouble with Ford trucks, the vettes never even blinked. I spray my engine down about once a week and no problems.
Scooter: The dealerships wash engines with a concentrated degreaser and a hot-water pressure washer. The engine is allowed to idle while the car is washed and dried so the heat burns off all the water from the engine. The engine is dressed with silicone tire dressing, and then is supposed to be wiped off with a rag. The wiping off gives that nice flat deep black look on plastic and keeps the metal parts from looking too shiny. If it isn't wiped down it looks like Jerry-curl (is that how you spell it?). I never dress my engine for two reasons: 1) I prefer everything to look new and not polished - nothing in the engine bay comes glossy from the factory. 2) The dressing attracts dirt and as the dirt-and -dressing mix gets hot it can turn the plastic yellow as it bakes in. It can be cleaned off but it takes more effort than I think is worthwhile. I don't dress my tires for the same reasons.

I found some stuff the other day at Auto Zone called CD2 engine detailer in a spray can that works very good. Just clean engine and allow to dry, then spray CD2 everywhere. It also works good on fender wells.

Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom