Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine cleaning

RV Guy

Corvette
1986 Silver/Gray Coupe
I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get the engine and the area around it cleaned up and detailed. Where do I start and what are the steps to getting it to where it is presentable? I don't have a show car by any means and I'm not looking to get the engine there either. I just want it to be clean and how do I keep it that way and still drive it?

Thanks

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get the engine and the area around it cleaned up and detailed. Where do I start and what are the steps to getting it to where it is presentable? I don't have a show car by any means and I'm not looking to get the engine there either. I just want it to be clean and how do I keep it that way and still drive it?

Thanks

When I bought my 86, the engine & compartment were filthy. My engine needed a tune up and a new serpentine belt. I pulled the battery & alternator,when removing the belt I removed the brackets for the altenator, took off the basiclly every thing on the front of the engine. I cleaned all the brackets and painted them, I taped up the alternator and painted it.
I bought some degreaser (bio degradeable) and cleaned the engine, with all
the brackets off I was able to get the hard to access area around the front pulley. I used gunk the area inside the compartment. I rinsed it down.
My valve covers leaked oil so I bought VC gaskets and removed the covers, I must admit this was a pain in the a-- ! the paint was all chipped so I stripped them down, primed & a coat of rinkle paint, looked like factory.With the VC off I directed gunk onto the intake manifold & used an old golf shoe brush and and rag and cleaned the area around & under the fuel rails. All the rusted brakets I degreased wire brushed & painted. I put everything back together,
new wires. (started looking real good). the fan shroud & air intake hose i cleaned with gunk and a rag and a brush, oh I also replaced the radiator hoses when I had all the brackets off, also I raised the front of the car and pulled the front wheels. Using the bio-degreaser cleaner I cleaned the front end, and under the front of the engine, the oil pan and the transmission.
After everything was back together and running I gave the engine, compartment and firewall another shot of gunk, rinsed it down let it dry
and got out the WD 40, I sprayed everything in the engine compartment a real good coating, even the headlight motors. Dont forget under the hood!
I spray the gunk on it and wipe it down. Net result, it looks great, you will need to give the engine a repeat drenching of WD 40, and it will stay shiny for quite awhile, you will also find all the oil leaks. a good saturday & sunday project. Now strip the ugly plastic coating off your wheels and see them come bsck to life!
tOM

I agree. WD40 and a lot of rubbing with cloth, scotch bright, steel wool, etc. All it takes is time and patience :)

Following is a picture of my engine and it is by no means a show piece:

Cor27.jpg

And by the way you can find the decalls at Ecklers.

Selim

Selim,
Looks real good! I need the valve cover emblem for mine (the 86 L98 looks alot different than yours), but as you stated, once you get through that first layer (my car is 10 yrs older than yours) then it starts geting easier - I will take a picture of my engine and post it.
Tom

Thanks for the information. I had never heard of using WD40 like this. I would have thought that it would attract dirt and cause things to get dirty quicker.

Ron

Selim,
I need the valve cover emblem for mine (the 86 L98 looks alot different than yours) Tom

Tom,

One of the valve cover emblems was out of shape when I got the car. My repairman removed the emblem from a C4 wreck and placed it on mine :) I was lucky. I don't know if Ecklers has it.

Cheers,

Selim

Thanks for the information. I had never heard of using WD40 like this. I would have thought that it would attract dirt and cause things to get dirty quicker. Ron

Same same here. That's what I thought too. But works very well. Now remember one thing, I am in Turkey and we do not have the fancy stuff you folks can find in the USA. So ended up using WD40 because it was (and still is) the only choice.

Cheers,

Selim

Selim,
Sometimes there is just no replacement for "the staples" I've tried all the fancy expensive stuff, and always go back to WD40.

Ron, WD40 is not sticky when it dries, and after you work on a few coatings it protects and looks good, this is not saying that you wont have to clean the engine, it all depends on how dirty your conditions are.
Tom

Eckler's does not have the C-4 valve cover emlem.They are not available from G.M. either. If anyone know's where to get them please let us know.I would like one and I know of several other's who would also. TLS

I could’ve sworn I recently saw ’86 emblems in one of my catalogues at home. Not sure if they were OEM or repos. I’m at work now, but I will take a look tonight to see if I can't find the source.

B17Crew
:w

I powered washed my LT4's engine bay twice with not a single problem.

6 Shooter,

I have always read pressure steam cleaning could harm the optispark. Therefore I ended up having to clean the engine manually myself.

Would it harm the optispark if pressure steam is applied only from the top of the engine?

Cheers,

Selim

Would it harm the optispark if pressure steam is applied only from the top of the engine?
Selim - I was aware of optispark issues and was less aggressive power washing the front of the engine. I'm pretty sure there was an upgrade to the optispark during the last few years of the LT1/4's production.

Later - D

B-17
You are 100% correct. These emblem look exactly like my original. I have looked forever trying to find one and could not. I don't know how I missed it, but anyway thank's for the head's up. TLS

B-17
You are 100% correct. These emblem look exactly like my original. I have looked forever trying to find one and could not. I don't know how I missed it, but anyway thank's for the head's up. TLS

You are very welcome, I’m glad to read of a Corvette on it’s way to being resurrected! They’re all special.

B17Crew
:w

Selim,
Sometimes there is just no replacement for "the staples" I've tried all the fancy expensive stuff, and always go back to WD40.

Ron, WD40 is not sticky when it dries, and after you work on a few coatings it protects and looks good, this is not saying that you wont have to clean the engine, it all depends on how dirty your conditions are.
Tom

Try mop and glow floor wax. ive used this product on all the plastic since the 70's.
I have it on my vette under the hood on all the plastic in wheel wells it drys to a hard finish so all you have to do is dust it off.
i use it on my tires, the hoses under the clam shell hood.
give it a try.
i buy it at the grocery store--kmart--walmart.
mop and glow

good luck
first vette
:upthumbs
:beer

Try mop and glow floor wax. ive used this product on all the plastic since the 70's.
I have it on my vette under the hood on all the plastic in wheel wells it drys to a hard finish so all you have to do is dust it off.
i use it on my tires, the hoses under the clam shell hood.
give it a try.
i buy it at the grocery store--kmart--walmart.
mop and glow

good luck
first vette
:upthumbs
:beer

Mop-n-Glo?!!! Wow!!! Who'd'a thunk it!?!! I gotta try that!

Regarding the powerwasher or steam cleaning method. I had less than satisfactory results cleaning my engine compartment using this method. When I took posession of my 92 the engine compartment had years of dirt and some grease/oil. I was amazed that a corvette engine compartment looked so grubby, but for under 10k purchase price, I saw potential. So I took it to a local car center where I paid $45 to have the engine steam cleaned. They put it on a rack and went to town. Afterwards the engine looked better but still had a fair amount of grease and dirt around the opti spark, under the a/c compressor, water pump, p/s unit, and oil pan. To make matters worse the engine would crank but not start afterwards. I borrowed a blow gun and blew off the wires and spark unit. It fired up and I took it home. I then went to the auto parts store, purchased 3 or 4 cans of degreaser, and completed the job in my driveway. Much better. Later I decided to check out the opti spark unit and replace the aging water pump as a precaution, The opti spark unit had no evidence of moisture penetration, and I replaced the wires, cap and rotor with the upgraded msd unit that utilizes the vacuum/vent tubes. I now clean and wiper her down regularly using mequires rubber and vinyl cleaner conditioner. Worlds apart from when I took her home and Im now proud to "show it off".

Sunstroked,

Can you post a few pics here please?

Selim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom