Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine codes ??

D

dbettner

The 8th digit engine number in my serial number for my 1982 is 8, I have a friend whos 1982 has a 6 , is there a differance in these two engines?

The sixth digit would be "0" for the Collector Edition, "8" for the standard Vette. The ninth digit is a check digit and varies. The eighth digit should not change.

All 82 vettes had the same engine.

tom...

Is your friend getting the VIN # from the tag on the car or from the title/registration? All 1982 Corvette engine codes were an "8" - 5.7 V8 TBI, in fact there was not a "6" engine code for 1982.

Robert

dbettner,

Just a friendly reminder. It's NEVER a good idea to publish your entire VIN in a public domain. If I were the less-than-honorable type I could file for a replacement title for your car in some states, claim ownership, and have a legal claim to at least half of ot once we met in court.

The last six digits are a sequence number and almost never have any value in discerning what options and equipment your car might have. The only time they are useful is for a series break for production upgrades and recalls. None of us would need any of that information to help you answer your question.

You might want to edit it out of there.

Later,
Vader

Vader said:
dbettner,

Just a friendly reminder. It's NEVER a good idea to publish your entire VIN in a public domain. If I were the less-than-honorable type I could file for a replacement title for your car in some states, claim ownership, and have a legal claim to at least half of ot once we met in court.

The last six digits are a sequence number and almost never have any value in discerning what options and equipment your car might have. The only time they are useful is for a series break for production upgrades and recalls. None of us would need any of that information to help you answer your question.

You might want to edit it out of there.

Later,
Vader
I agree. I would edit it and put "X's" in the last seven digits. Never know who might be hacking out there

Vader said:
If that could be done, then all you would have to do is walk by a car in a parking lot. Do you have any factual evidence that it has ever been done? I don't. Seems to be more of an urban legend.

tom...

Tom,

You might be correct about the "ownership/title" portion being a myth, but since the last six digits are inconsequential, why risk problems. Even if I couldn't claim ownership, I can find out exactly who you are, where you live (and probably what you had for breakfast) from the VIN registration data.

As the Dukman stated, "Never know who might be hacking out there..." A little bit of anonymity can be a good thing. Identity theft and abuse is a big enough problem. We shouldn't volunteer to make it easier.

Sorry, I realize this isn't a specifically 'Y' car technical concept, but I feel it is somewhat important. Anyone can come in and view/search threads without even becoming a member.

BTW - What is the expiration date on your MasterCard, anyway? ;)

Vin#'s

Question, what about L81 Registration they ask for the last 7 digits?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom