Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Coolant Gage

Tony C

Corvette
2004 Commerative Edition
Hi All,
Okay, I've posted this in the general section because it's really to stupid for the technical section (as evidenced by my inability to even spell gage correctly - but thanks to an admin it's been fixed). I'm really curious about the coolant gage in the C5. It has 8 major tick marls and begins at 100 degrees and ends at 260 degrees. This would imply that each major tick mark is 20 degrees. However, the top center label, at the fourth tick mark is 220 degrees - doesn't make sense to me. Is there an easy way to explain this?

Hi All,
Okay, I've posted this in the general section because it's really to stupid for the technical section (as evidenced by my inability to even spell gage correctly). I'm really curious about the coolant gage in the C5. It has 8 major tick marls and begins at 100 degrees and ends at 260 degrees. This would imply that each major tick mark is 20 degrees. However, the top center label, at the fourth tick mark is 200 degrees - doesn't make sense to me. Is there an easy way to explain this?

You just made me get up off of this comfortable chair to walk to the garage to check the temp gauge. :boogie Looking at the "major" temp increment marks I would have to assume that the LEFT side temp raises in 30 degree increments and the RIGHT side (from 260) raises in 10 degree increments. Don't know why it's done like that. Maybe just to make Corvette owners :mad

Is there an easy way to explain this?

I would say the resistance in the water temp sending unit changes in a non-linear fashion. Thus the gauge face marking is non linear as well.

I would say the resistance in the water temp sending unit changes in a non-linear fashion. Thus the gauge face marking is non linear as well.

Can you explain that in simple English? ;LOL

Its been awhile since I read the manual but I believe it talks about this in there. Of course I am to lazy to get out of my comfy chair an check. :D

You could get the digital information from the driver's information center and compare for yourself. Notice that the speedometer increments change on the top end of the gauge as well.

Can you explain that in simple English? ;LOL

I'll preface by saying that I don't know what the C5 coolant temp sender properties are and I am not a ME. However, what I meant above is that temp senders sometimes utilize thermistors, devices whose electrical resistance changes (decreases) with an associated temperature increase. By non linear, I mean the resistance change between 100 degrees and 150 degrees would be different than the amount of resistance change between 150 degrees and 200 degrees. The mechanical guage displaying that temperature (resistance change) is usually linear, thus would need to have a similar non-linearity as the thermistor in its markings. For example, the C3 gauge has a range of 100-250 degrees with 210 degrees being in the middle of that range. Obviously the difference between 100 and 210 is much greater than the difference between 210 and 250 but the needle travel on the gauge is the same.

I'll preface by saying that I don't know what the C5 coolant temp sender properties are and I am not a ME. However, what I meant above is that temp senders sometimes utilize thermistors, devices whose electrical resistance changes (decreases) with an associated temperature increase. By non linear, I mean the resistance change between 100 degrees and 150 degrees would be different than the amount of resistance change between 150 degrees and 200 degrees. The mechanical guage displaying that temperature (resistance change) is usually linear, thus would need to have a similar non-linearity as the thermistor in its markings. For example, the C3 gauge has a range of 100-250 degrees with 210 degrees being in the middle of that range. Obviously the difference between 100 and 210 is much greater than the difference between 210 and 250 but the needle travel on the gauge is the same.

Oh boy, am I sorry I asked. ;shrug :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom