Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine feel

Hintsy72

Corvette
1980 Blue Stingray
I just had to get a new engine in my 80 stingray because I threw a rod. I went from a 383 to a stock gm 350. I finally got her back 2 days ago and every time I accelerate the rattling and noise in the interior is ten times worse than it was before the swap. Is this a cause for concern and if not, is there a way to make it better? It's somewhat annoying. When I idle or let off the gas completely the rattling stops almost right away.

Can you tell what is rattling???
open the hood and look around. sometimes you can tell just by looking at it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Find and fix the rattle. Who installed your engine? Take them for a test drive and let them have a listen.
:thumb

I sure hope what your hearing is not the engine knocking. If it is detination or some might call it octane ping, this will destroy the engine in short order. Get your timing checked ASAP. Hopfully the rattle is just some loose bracket but regaurdless I'd not drive it till the fault is found.

It could be something as simple as the exhaust. I would have the installer check it.Hopefully, nothing serious. Good luck.

First thing to do is get the car up on jack stands then inspect the entire exhaust system to see if any exhaust parts are contacting the frame.

Also, check for a broken engine mount.

I don't think it's a specific part rattling it's the entire car shaking

the entire car is shaking????
tire(s) is out of balance.you may have lost a wheel weight.
or a tire broke a cord.

Ok. I misunderstood the OP.

I take it that the problem is more of a powertrain vibration rather than noise or...to put it another way, maybe the noise is being caused by a powertrain vibration?

Engine noise

I had a new engine built it started
making a loud ticking sound
like a lifter
i took top end apart
lifters apart
put it back to gether
same problem loud ticking sound
i called edelbrock
they said they will replace any part
for free if i find some thing wrong
just send it back
well it turned out to be
a new fuel pump
not a rebuilt
the plunger that moves
is press fit to fuel pump housing
came apart
part came from auto zone made in china crap
i replaced it with good old usa electric fuel pump
now all i hear is a 360 hp sound
in my 1977 corvette

Your original post did not mention anything about the entire car shaking, only a rattling noise. You really need to determine the real symptom(s) and be specific about the problem. Does the problem occur at idle, when driving at a certain speed, etc? There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who can help you but only if we can understand the circumstances and under which conditions the problem is or is not apparent.
Terry

IS it rattling or shaking more at a specific RPM? Like idle or 2500 RPM? If the shop that installed the 350 used the balancer or flexplate from the 383 and the 383 was externally balanced (weight attached to the balancer and flexplate), then you could have a problem there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom